can't hear midi sounds!

redheadedboy

this is going to sound really dumb, but i'll ask it anyways...

i've been using sonar for a while to just record regular audio. i wanted to learn about midi, so i bought a really crappy midi keyboard controller. this is connected (midi out) to a midiman 2x2 usb interface (midi in). The interface is also connected to my windows2000 machine through the usb port. When i record on a midi track, i can see the data getting to the computer, but i can't hear anything.

I'm assuming I need to connect the midi out (from the midiman interface) to something (a sound card, maybe?) - but i don't have anything to connect it to. I have gina24 and darla24 sound cards, but not a regular soundblaster-type audio card. what's the simplest solution?

thanks for the help.

--tim

I used to love a redheadedgirl...

Oh whoops...did I say that out loud?!?

Anyway, RHB
If you are "seeing the data getting to the computer, but you can't hear anything" the midi is connected fine to the computer.
I have the 2x2 also.
1st: Get the latest drivers for it from midiman.com
2nd: It sounds like you need to set the port settings or something in the track properties for the midi track.
Midi omni. and the proper input and output.
Set the channel and the bank and patch also.
Make sure you have a soundfont loaded or whatever sounds your using, too.

As to your "really crappy midi keyboard controller", don't be so hard on it.
It really only needs to send the midi data to your computer, so if it can do that then it will work just fine.
I've been using my Roland D-20 that I bought in 1985 as a controller, never using the built in sounds, and it has worked great.

Wish I could be more specific, but it's late, i've had one too many, and I can't think straight right now. :~)

Good luck,
A1MixMan

To this day I still love her, but alas she doesn't feel the same...
Whoops, I did it again!

The reason you can't hear anything is because your cards aren't MIDI cards - they are digital audio capable only. Sound baster cards have a onboard wavetable synthesizer chip which responds to MIDI data. The easiest way to hear something would be to set up one of Sonar's software synths (Virtual Sound Canvas, Tassman, etc...) to respond to the MIDI data you are generating. If you don't have the processing power to run a Soft Synth, you can pick up a cheap MIDI module like a Roland JV-1010, Korg X5Dr or the like.

Back