cant get vocals to sit well...

whjr15

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=8699

That's a song (partial) my friend and I are working on right now... The major hangup is that I just don't like the way most of the vocals sit in the mix, mainly my friends parts (chorus). I've tried tweaking 'em every which way I could think of, to no avail. I don't know whats goin' on -- If it's the shitty bookshelf speakers I use to monitor, or if my ears are playin' tricks on me.

Funny thing is that I think my part (verse) sits just fine when compared to his choruses... We both used the same mic, maybe the mic just didnt like his voice?

To me, the guitars etc have quite a long reverb, and the vocals have quite a short reverb. Maybe this is why it doesn't really sit right...

Well other things are using reverb too. Maybe it is something to do with all the different reverbs... Did you use like times on the reverbs or different time? As in decay times... One thing for vocals though is don't try to pan them too far, sometimes they will sound odd and just not right. Also, try to thicken it up a bit with EQ and maybe a bit of compression to just level it out a bit.

Back