Cant get the 'treatment' right

MASTON

Hi,

I'm working on a track I wrote on guitar. Structure, lyrics, melody, chords are all finished.
I wanted to give it an 'Enya' kind of treatment though (you USA dudes Enya right?, is she American or European?), you know with haunting synths and the like.
So I thought should be easy. Got my singer (Female) to record vox and then I started playing with the synth sounds, BUT I CANNOT GET IT TO SOUND RIGHT!!!
I don't play keyboard, (I program the chords and do a few extra notes on top manually) so maybe I just need a good keyboard player, I dunno.
I use soundfonts in cakewalk and I've used a variety of synth pads to try and make it work.
One problem is I just don't seem to know how to do a good intro.
Can't get the percussion right either?!?!!

Any ideas

It's a great song and needs to get 'treated right'.

Would anyone be willing to listen to a sound bite to see what I'm working with and what I've got so far??

cheers
Maston

Hi!

Enya's Irish, and a Clannad alumnus, as far as I know. I think she's the youngest sister of the group.

First of all, you should post what you've got in the mp3 mixing clinic. I'd enjoy hearing what you have so far.

But, you're in luck. A little over a year ago, there was a discussion about Enya's vocals, which ought to help you a little bit - and I'm a huge fan, so I saved it. This should take you there, I think:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=19123

Hope that helps a bit.

And heck, you should do a text search for "Enya". You never know what other saved threads you might come up with.

Eurythmic

thanks for that, that link was really cool, it also led me (in a way I've totally forgotten) to discovering artistcollaboration.com which wowed me by it's mere existence as much as when I discovered homerecording.com.
This' given me some web space and a grand variety of musos to do stuff with.
As regards the song I've kind of given up on the Enya treatment owing to lack of knowledge (though I might try again sometime) and am now going for the minimal piano vocal style treatment.

r u still interested in hearing it. Let me know and I'll post up a link of wot Ive got so far.

cheers
Maston

MASTON said:
As regards the song I've kind of given up on the Enya treatment owing to lack of knowledge (though I might try again sometime) and am now going for the minimal piano vocal style treatment.

Maybe you could try a piano/synth sound. I have a preset on my keyboard called pianostrngs. It makes for a neat sound if you want a little more than just piano and goes well with any other instruments and vocals without overpowering them.

t

Back