can't get sound from midi controller

marv36

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help. I am very new to Ableton and have just got in a new M-Audio Oxygen 49 midi controller. I am not getting sound from Ableton, especially from my M-Audio Oxygen 49 key midi controller. I went to everything in the book about setting up midi and no luck. My keyboard does appear in the midi sync set up section in the preference module but am not sure what is happening. It works with Logic studio but not working with Ableton. Ableton seems to pick up the midi controller but not getting any sound. Hope someone can help.

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help. I am very new to Ableton and have just got in a new M-Audio Oxygen 49 midi controller. I am not getting sound from Ableton, especially from my M-Audio Oxygen 49 key midi controller. I went to everything in the book about setting up midi and no luck. My keyboard does appear in the midi sync set up section in the preference module but am not sure what is happening. It works with Logic studio but not working with Ableton. Ableton seems to pick up the midi controller but not getting any sound. Hope someone can help.

so you drag and drop a synth into a midi track and have the record button armed and you get no sound?

have you tried just painting in some midi notes to see if these are playing back?

is your soundcard/audio interface set up under the audio tab in preferences?

Hey thanks, I guess I was skipping a step and I am so new at this and just got live a week ago and finally installed it this pass Sunday so I still have a lot of reading to do. Anyways so this is what I did, I dragged a sound into the midi track and am getting sound, but isn't there a way you just click on the files and just get the sounds? is this the only way? The other thing too is now that I am getting sound the synths sound a bit dry and dull or cheezy. Is it the lack of polyphony or something that can be adjusted in live or is it my midi keyboard?

your midi keyboard makes no sound...its merely a trigger, its the software that makes the sounds...clicking midi files makes no noise...midi is not a sound its a way of activating sounds...you can listen to the basic melody with a beep tone or audio files can be previewed by bringing them up in the search window on the left and activating the small headphone button in the bottom left hand corner then double clicking the file within this window

Presets will probably sound cheesy on many synths, the polyphony is fine, it depends which synth you have activated and what effects you are using on it..

To be honest you need to read up on some basics before worrying about how cheesy synths sound...the manual is easy to read and covers pretty much anything..also this website is a great resource in answering basic questions

TweakHeadz Lab Electronic Musician's Hangout

"Home Recording for Dummies" and "Guerrilla Homrecording" are both worth the read and will give you a foundation to build on, without this foundation you'll make this all a lot harder for yourself in the beginning

Once you're up and running you'll love it, Live is a complicated programme at first but in a league of one so well worth the effort

hey, thanks for your advise man I really appreciate it. I agree with you I really have to read up on the manual. I've seen a lot of cool neat things this software can do and I really want to get rolling and start creating music with out running into any problems in the middle of my creation. I am a baby with this kind of stuff and want to make sure I did the right thing too when I installed the software. I really want to thank you for your advise and help with Ableton Live.

no probs..if i can help with anything in ableton post it here...if its a general n00b question stick it up in the newbie forum and it'll get more response, dont be afraid to ask anything but sometimes you need to find it yourself for it to make sense.

welcome to the site :)

Back