Can't get my DP01 to Work

uhhuhhim

The mic is plugged into the front where it's supposed to be...when I turn the switch to the on position on the mic, the red OL light doesn't come on and I don't have any input.

This also happens when I try to plug in the guitar.

Why can't I get this to work?

I got it to work, but when I try to record, I can hear my microphone when I wear the headphones, but when I record, there's no meter on the track meter

I don't understand this

Last edited:
Ok, let's go step by step here.
1) turn your DP01 on
2) create a new song
3) assign the input where you are to connect your mic (A or B) and shut off the one you're not going to be using. (make sure if you use input A, to move the switch to the "mic/line" position, and not "guit", when using a mic)
4) test the mic and see if the "input" and "master" meters are giving you a reading.
5) assing the track you are going to record. Press the assing button + the track no. you're going to be using. the button will blink once. then press the track no. button again, and the button will blink steadily.
6) press rec+play and start recording.
If you don't get anything recorded like this, I don't know what could be wrong.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!

Thanks, Nico.

I did get a "preliminary" song recorded today. What I'm most upset about now is the DX4 Monitors by M-Audio don't work properly...the bare wire to connect to the right speaker is too short to actually fit inside the speaker springs (+ -) properly, so only one of them has sound. Would it be ok to strip the plastic outside the wire so that it could possibly make a connection with that speaker?

Also: I tried to use my microphone to record my guitar, which was plugged into a small 10W Amp. I didn't have a second instrument cable to plug into the other insert slot, so I couldn't use the jack on the recorder, so I don't think it got the fair recording it deserved.

But, for the moment, what woul be the best number to operate the amp at?

Edit: I also wanted to know how loud the final mixes would be once I transferred them over to a computer. My dad is sending me a USB chord (that was originally mine that I thought my sister had at her house, so it's coming). I just want to know what to be prepared for.

There is nothing fancy about how I recorded anything. I did the guitar in my bedroom and i did the vocals in the bathroom (hahaha) Good echo in there.

Anyway, back to the topic. Will the final mixes be decent once played on a computer?

Sorry for posting again, but I had a question...

I just learned about the undo/redo feature. And how if you go to the top, it adds the everything you did up to that point. And if you go down to the list and hit enter, it deletes everything you did after you loaded the song...

So, I wanted to know: Are all of your takes store onto the song in separate wave files that you can import to a computer and Mixdown on a program such as cakewalk...

Or is it just exported as one file?

A little reading won't do you any harm

I know everything's in the manual...but, I'll gladly try to answer.

...the bare wire to connect to the right speaker is too short to actually fit inside the speaker springs (+ -) properly, so only one of them has sound. Would it be ok to strip the plastic outside the wire so that it could possibly make a connection with that speaker?

The best way to go is to get an appropriate lenght cable. Go to your audio store and buy enough cable to place your monitors right where you want them.

...what woul be the best number to operate the amp at?

Well, that depends. I'm not a guitar recording expert, but when I record electric guit, I turn the amp to 5 (I use a Crate GX80), and the level at which I record is controlled exclusively with the mic/line knob in the DP01.

...I also wanted to know how loud the final mixes would be once I transferred them over to a computer.

The final mixes are going to be as loud as you recorded them. However you can edit them using any program like Cakewalk or Cool edit (I personally use Cool edit). These mixes are going to be what you can achieve when recording. Try to get the best possible "dry" sound, so when you sprinkle it with effects you obtain great results.

Are all of your takes store onto the song in separate wave files that you can import to a computer and Mixdown on a program such as cakewalk...Or is it just exported as one file?

Yes, all the takes in each track are saved as individual files in the native partition. In that same manner, you have to export each track to the fat partition before you can transfer them to your PC. You can export them individually, or you can "master" the song and export the master track (which then can be transfered to your PC as a single wav file).

Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask mate.
Cheers!

Thanks, Nico - that really helps a lot.

I don't have the extra instrument cable to plug the guitar into the guitar input while it's connected to the amp, but I'm just playing around for now until I get the hang of it.

I am also going to re-read the manual again :)

Thanks for all of your help.

Yes, everything is in the manual. But, I found it confusing as a newbie. So, I typed up a cheat sheet showing every step and the page number where each step could be found in the manual. I would suggest doing that.

Dale

Back