cans for drums

slimcamp

i need a set of headphones that will be suitable for drums. something under/around 50 bucks, because drummers i kow break alot of stuff..... thanks

Go to Radio Smack

The best cans by far for drummers that are really high in isolation but relatively cheap are the ones you can buy from Radio Shack made for listening to the radio at Race tracks. The look kind of like the ones you would wear at a gun range , they have a volume knob on the side ,but they are mono. (which actually is fine for a drummer). You need to get a stereo to mono adapter while you are there. They are around $50.

tmix

Metrophones are very cool, but too pricey.

I say use in ear headphones with an industrial ear muff thingie.
I got a set for free at work, but Harbor Freight recently had some for $1.49.

Works for me.

Pat

I have tried various methods down through the years. I prefer to use ear plugs inside Beyer DT100s not cheapest but they last and last. I find that ear plugs (yellow foam about 30 dB attenuation) inside the 20 dB attenuating DT100s gives me real comfort when playing very hard. You may get more outa your drummer when the drums don't hurt the ears so much plus he/she will be able to comment on the recorded parts if the ears are still operational after tracking;) .

Cheers

Vic Firth now makes isolation headphones. I haven't used them but if they're any good at all the $60 price tag makes them worth it. Claim 24db reduction. I'm gonna check them out soon.

They're amazing in the fact that I can be sitting at my drumset, smacking the hell out of a snare drum, and I can still make good judgements of tweeking the sound. For someone who sometimes records alone (drums, guitars, vox, the whole smash) they are great, and an invaluable piece of gear.

Damn Drummerbones!

Now I have to go out and spend another $90.00, because I just GOTTA HAVE THOSE!!

j/k thanks for the tip on those. They sound great.

Please note- 29dB attenuation is not extreme isolation. The attenuation on a set of Sennheiser HD280's is 30dB, and they're more comfortable, with excellent bass response.-Richie

I think I've said it before but anyway I use Koss "The Plug" fitted with a pair of good plugs and put a pair of airport grade ear muffs on top of that. Ridiculously good isolation...

Back