Cannot decide which mic to get

Jerry W

In the $500.00 - $1,000.00 range there are quite a lot of offerings. I would be using it mostly for recording male vocals into a Universal Audio 2-610- pre amp then into a MOTU 24 i/o ar 96khz. Also, I have a Mackie board for what its worth.

Here are some of the possibilities:

a) Neuman TLM103;
b) BLUE Baby Bottle;
c) Brauner Phantom;
d) Audio Tehnica 40XX ( I am not sure which model fits in with this group and price point)
e) Studio Projects T3 (I think that is the correct model number for the toobe number they make);
d) Any other suggestions?

I recently upgraded to a Blue Dragonfly and an NTK from a C-1 and I can tell a very large difference. This C-1 is good, but these just stand out. The NTK fits well on most people, and the Dragonfly fits real well on people with a lot of highs in thier boice. They have fit perfectly in diff situations for different people. Some soung great in both and some just one. I would highly recommend either one of those. I have tried 3 blue mics and I have loved everyone, so you can't go too wrong. I realize they are not on your list, but you may want to consider them. Ken

NTK would be good. It has a 2.5KHz peak that has to be watched for some voices that are already hot in this range. Very smooth and buttery though.

The TLM 103 is very neutral sounding mic and would come closest to being an all around good mic across different male voices. Works good on thin voices.

Don't know the other mics.

I have been very impressed with every Brauner mic I've heard - heck, I bought 2 of 'em. Though I haven't heard the Phantom yet, a couple of people whose opinions I trust assure me they're up to the same high standards as the rest of the Brauner line. Do whatever it takes to get your hands (ears) on one, and judge the others against it. I know what you'll decide.

Scott

Consider B.L.U.E Dragonfly, AKG C414TL II. I think the Studio Projects T-3 is probably a good choice. Also consider a good dynamic, Shure SM7 or Sennheiser 441. Shure KSM44. I also like Rode NTK, but the T-3 may be more versatile due to multi-pattern capability.-Richie

Back