Canare star quad - how to use

bubbagump

I have heard from many sources that Canare star quad is very good cable and I figured I would give it a whirl. Does anyone have experience with wiring this? It essentially has 5 conductors.... a ground a two pairs. I assume the ground/shield is treated as with any cable, but is there anythign special to know about the pairs? I assume you just choose one pair (both blue or both white) for + and the other pair together for -? I don't know if they wind the stuff like in Cat5 so that you want to specifically use a blue and white combo or what. Any ideas?

While I am on cable, I have tons of cable everywhere and a lot of it servers dual purpose.... recording studio and live use. How do folks storeand transport their cable? Any clever methods. I usually coil it nicely, but I am always curious if folks have better methods.

Last edited:
the wiring is as you said, 1 pair to pin 2 and one pair to pin 3, shield to pin 1. As faras transport, I have seen some people put the cables end to end on a cable reel. I just have seperate cases for XLR / snakes /AC /speaker cables . There is still no magic solution for cable management as far as I know. But you should get something with a shield wound sufficiently to avoid cable memory, for live use. Ther best way to transport cables is
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww...ator=prodIndexRefinementSearch&L1=Containers,
these type close and stack and work well in general + take abuse.

Back