can you tell me if this computer is acceptable?

jimmy_the_LD

Hi there - I can't remember my password and no one from the site will return my emails, so I had to re-register. Tis pity, i had over a hundred posts.

Listen folks - please help:
I have a Delta 1010 8 input rack unit and card, and I recently was offered a Compaq deskpro computer and monitor for 180 bucks. I want to take my card out of this computer (my main home copmputer) and have another computer solely dedicated to audio and recording.

The specs on this are as follows:
Compaq Deskpro EN
-866 Mhz Pentium III Processor
-256 Mb Ram
-Fast 52X CD Burner
-10 Gb Hard Drive
-17" Dell Monitor - (Sony Trinitron Flat Tube)
-Keyboard mouse - cables

Let me know what you think. I'd be running either Coll Edit Pro 2 or Adobe Audition.

Do a search man. People have recommended many "minimum" and "ideal" setups. You should be able to find lots of advice.

I think this is a very minimum set up. You can probably run most multitrack software but you will be very limited on the number of tracks and effects you can run simultaneously.

jimmy_the_LD said:
I have a Delta 1010 8 input rack unit and card, and I recently was offered a Compaq deskpro computer and monitor for 180 bucks. I want to take my card out of this computer (my main home copmputer) and have another computer solely dedicated to audio and recording.

Quite minimum specs. Deskpro EN's of that era also do not accept more than 512 MB RAM which also limit its usefulness. (I'm commercial manager at an HP Premium Business Partner, sold a heap of these things).

Not sure on US pricing, but the New Zealand dealer buy ex-lease on an IBM Netvista PIII 1G, 128 MB, 10 GB, CD is about NZ$220 (US$150 or so). You're getting a higher spec, more flexible machine (unless its an ENS small form factor) and a monitor, so the price seems about right.

Cya
Andrew

Back