Can you/should you float an inside wall on the floor?

revaudio

Hi everyone,

You may have covered this before, so please just direct me to a previous post if you know of one. I tried searching and couldn't find a good answer.

My question is this: I'm adding a second wall in my live room. It will be a room in side of a room and I've got pretty much everything figured out but someone asked me if I was going to "float" the inside walls on the floor - maybe by using some sort of rubber pad? I guess I'm not sure how I could truly float the walls AND have them secure at the same time. I don't want my room to slide around! It seems to me putting rubber under all the studs is waste of time if I'm just screwing through the studs into the floor anyway. I will have a floating floor inside and I'm planning on using 2 X 3 alum studs for the walls.

Does anyone have an opinion on this one?

Thanks,

Jason

It will be a room in side of a room

I will have a floating floor inside and I'm planning on using 2 X 3 alum studs for the walls.

You build the walls on TOP of the floating floor, the cieling joists supported by the walls or hung by risc clips and hat channel, or RC on an existing ceiling..VOILA! Floating room within a room. :)
fitZ

Just remember that if you support your inner ceiling on your inner walls, (instead of using a resilient hanging system for the ceiling) the studs need to be the heavier 20 gauge instead of 22 or 25 gauge - and I doubt they are aluminum, any I've worked with are galvanized steel... Steve

That makes sense

That makes total sense. I was thinking of constructing the floating floor inside of the inner room, but in this case I would construct it "inside" of the outer room and then build the inner room on top. (I think what I just wrote made sense - it made sense to me!)

I will probably provide some light support via RC to the ceiling, just for a little stability.

Yes - you're right - they are steel studs. Thanks for the tip on the heavier guage on the ceiling.

Thanks for the quick help, guys. This place is an amazing resource!

Jason

Back