Can you help me find a guitar?

His sig model wasn't a Jaguar mind, it was a Jag-Stang. This is his original '65 jag.

http://www.kurtsequipment.com/pictures/weirdh.jpg
Yes, it was a recreation of that.

f9f9cc2d017d52e9db3f650dec1d0a50.png

I believe the Jazzmaster J Mascis signature model has a 9,5" radius.

I also believe they're made in Japan though, but I've heard they are of really good quality comparable to the American ones.

Me, I love my Jazzmaster AVRI 62. My Les Paul hasn't been touched since I got the Jazzy about a year (?) ago. Not sure why the radius would be such a big deal, but maybe it's just because I've gotten used to it. Whatever you get, be sure to get the Mastery bridge or at least a Mustang bridge.

Jazzmasters are beyond cool :guitar:

the mascis is a 7.25, too.
i had a japanese jazzmaster in the late 90s/2000s and it was so bad. :/

Which Mascis model are you looking at? There is the Squier Mascis signature model, and the Fender Artist model. The Squier is a 9.25" radius, according to Fender's website.

This page seems to say the Sig model is a 9.5"

Fender?s J Mascis |

That's weird I guess nobody seems to know this ad says 7.25
Fender J Mascis Artist Series Jazzmaster Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

Mascis I'd think would want the 9.5 since he bends so much.
It's a bummer they were made in Japan. I like some guitars from Japan (like the current gretsch pro series are great) but my experience with Japanese Jazzmasters in the late 90s were so bad I don't know if I could trust them again

my experience with Japanese Jazzmasters in the late 90s were so bad I don't know if I could trust them again

Interesting. What exactly was it that you didn't like about them?

I've never tried any other Jazzmaster than my AVRI 62 with a Mastery bridge and bigger frets. The bridge and frets were already changed when I bought it.

Interesting. What exactly was it that you didn't like about them?

I've never tried any other Jazzmaster than my AVRI 62 with a Mastery bridge and bigger frets.

The components were so bad. Every time I plugged it in the jack would loosen, knobs came off, it has a pretty awful buzz/hum, and played kind of stiff. Later I read they used cheap components inside. It matched my experience. Also notes fretted out all the time, too (with the factory setup), which is probably why I'm afraid of the 7.25. Some of that was probably the setup, but I was a kid at the time and didn't know.
I heard people say the 90s japanese reissues don't sound like real jazzmasters, but I'm not sure b/c i had no comparison point. I see people trying to sell them on ebay for like 1k because they're now vintage, but imo they are worth like $250 max. They played like Squires.

How do you like the 1962 reissue? How thick or thin is the neck and is it is a sticky neck like strats sometimes have or smooth to play on?

How do you like the 1962 reissue? How thick or thin is the neck and is it is a sticky neck like strats sometimes have or smooth to play on?

Well, like I mentioned I don't really have good data for comparison since I've ever only played that one, but it plays really well. I can do bends high up on the neck as well, but that might have something to do with the replaced frets and Mastery bridge. I believe the frets are 6105 frets. The neck doesn't feel stickier than any other guitars I've played (I've got a Gibson Les Paul and used to have a Fender Prodigy). Not sure about the exact thickness of the neck, but it's thinner than my Les Paul and thicker than what I remember the Fender Prodigy being. Also the second tone circuit is disconnected which presumably makes for less noise.

jazzy.jpg

Back