Can You Guys Critique These Drums

All drummers are shit.
The ones that are good are busy because they're not shit.
I can make a shit one sound good...
...by editing and replacing all of his drum sounds.

Repeat endless cycle

That's the real problem. Music editing is just too easy nowadays than that you'd actually have to be able to play your instrument well so I feel like nobody gives a rat's ass.
Besides a session drummer, I haven't had the pleasure of recording a drummer that could give me a drum track that I didn't have to spend a day working on.

inb4 predictable snarky response
Lol. Seriously, maybe you're the problem if you can't get good drum sounds or a good drummer to work with you.

I'd say quite the opposite. The amount of polish that goes into a modern record is absurd. It's the whole reason that we use drum replacement software in the first place.
If our standards were low, we'd be bashing at a shit drum set with a one mic setup and not care about perfomance issues. Instead, we go for this overly perfect alternative.
Don't confuse polish with high standards. Digital editing has made it simple to overcook a mix, and people use those bells and whistles because it's there, it's easy, and they're lazy. Why use drum replacement? Because it's quick and easy and you don't have the skill to record a drum kit. That's lower standards, not higher.

Why use drum replacement? Because it's quick and easy and you don't have the skill to record a drum kit.

Do you guys honestly think that people all over the world have access to drum kits, rooms and microphones whenever they need them? I don't believe that you guys are that stupid.
I use drum replacement because I don't have thousands of € in disposable income, which is the same reason why I have a used, outdated Axe-Fx. I've got a 12 meter square room with a five year old computer and nothing else.

I know that most of you guys are adults with decently well paying jobs and homes but there are a lot of people who instead of both have loans and college dorms with roommates.
I work with drummers when I can on their terms in their spaces but if I have a track that I wrote and that is personal to me and I don't want to wait weeks to work on, barring if I can even find somebody that's interested, I'll be using Superior Drummer until I have a kid that will play drums for me. Sometimes I can find somebody on the internet but half of them tend to flake out. I've been waiting on some tracks for about two months from this guy, I don't think he's still on it... :laughings:
Sometimes it works really well like when I collab'd with NTB or RAMI.

Anyhow, That's why home studios use drum replacement.

Everyone knows that stuff. You're not providing any enlightenment. You said "all drummers are shit", and that may be true, but I'm telling you why you are probably shittier.

Everyone knows that stuff. You're not providing any enlightenment. You said "all drummers are shit", and that may be true, but I'm telling you why you are probably shittier.

Then why is everybody always riding the "old stuff is better!" - hype train if there is a sound reason that we all agree on anyhow?

Recording a drum kit isn't hard if you have decent gear. It's the preproduction of getting the person, teaching the song and the aftermath of editing that I don't like to deal with.
If I could whack it out like you, I'd be a bit happier with my recordings as well.

Then why is everybody always riding the "old stuff is better!" - hype train if there is a sound reason that we all agree on anyhow?

Recording a drum kit isn't hard if you have decent gear. It's the preproduction of getting the person, teaching the song and the aftermath of editing that I don't like to deal with.
If I could whack it out like you, I'd be a bit happier with my recordings as well.

So don't blame drummers, blame your own lame ass self.

I don't think anyone is saying "old is better". We're saying "real is better".

I don't think anyone is saying "old is better". We're saying "real is better".

Exactly, I wasn't gonna reply/comment because I'm stuck in the middle (kinda....I do use midi drums, pretty much as a have-to thing...sure I could get someone here to track some drums for me, but not on everything, & I wouldn't ask, not because they wouldn't do it, I'm pretty damn sure they would, just sayin'...), but real drums are better, you don't have to jump through hoops to make 'em sound good if they're recorded decently either like the midi drums....just like a real amp/cab is better than an ampsim (which I used for years...and still use on occasion)...

Schwarz, dude, you just need to let it go, do the best you can with what you have, & keep going dude...You need to thicken your skin up & not pay any attention to the midi comments dude...I use 'em myself, it's the only option I've got that's here, guarranteed 100% of the time....Are they as good as having a real kit??? No, and you're never gonna fool any of the real drummers into thinking they are real, but you've just gotta do the best you can with what you have dude....

Okay, cool. But you should start sooner instead of blaming others for your own massive inadequacies and failures.

Lol. Was just a hyperbole. Christ.
I can record a drumkit perfectly fine and I can find a drummer with a space and stuff if I have to but it's a huge time investment that I don't always feel like putting into this hobby.

Schwarz, dude, you just need to let it go, do the best you can with what you have, & keep going dude...You need to thicken your skin up & not pay any attention to the midi comments dude...I use 'em myself, it's the only option I've got that's here, guarranteed 100% of the time....Are they as good as having a real kit??? No, and you're never gonna fool any of the real drummers into thinking they are real, but you've just gotta do the best you can with what you have dude....

That's true. But I also like talking to the guys here. I've heard some smart things from a few of 'em. You never know when it'll hit ya!

For the record, I've NEVER cared if someone uses drum programs, E-kits, sample replacement, or whatever. No one gets it more than I do. I am a drummer after all. I know the noise, space requirements, cost, and difficulty of recording real drums. I only jump on stupid comments from stupid drum programmers that can't/haven't recorded real drums and act like they fucking know something.

I'm learning to play drums on an Electric Kit, using midi for better sounds, with an aim to one day be good enough to have a real kit, mics and to record real drums. It's an ambition and really good fun learning.

I use midi as a means to an end but I would always prefer a real kit with a real drummer. :thumbs up:

I agree. I accept that as a reference to me but all I can say is that I know that I've recorded various drums and percussions before for different styles in different settings for other people's projects.

Just like you, I also tend to jump on stupid comments. Like Bubba's was.

For the record, I've NEVER cared if someone uses drum programs, E-kits, sample replacement, or whatever. No one gets it more than I do. I am a drummer after all. I know the noise, space requirements, cost, and difficulty of recording real drums. I only jump on stupid comments from stupid drum programmers that can't/haven't recorded real drums and act like they fucking know something.

I know this for a fact Greg, you've actually helped me with my drum programming before, by sending me raw tracks, listening & giving advice, etc., & I know you'd help just about anyone with just about anything...

Schwarz, you're just letting this shit get to you dude, I know you like hanging out here, fuck man, I do too....But again, you've just gotta let it roll off you & move on dude...Like I said, just do the best you can with what you have & don't worry about it....As long as you do your best, what more could anyone ask of you, especially yourself dude???

I agree. I accept that as a reference to me but all I can say is that I know that I've recorded various drums and percussions before for different styles in different settings for other people's projects.

Just like you, I also tend to jump on stupid comments. Like Bubba's was.

Bubba's comment was pretty tangential, but his point is valid.

I'm learning to play drums on an Electric Kit, using midi for better sounds, with an aim to one day be good enough to have a real kit, mics and to record real drums. It's an ambition and really good fun learning.

I use midi as a means to an end but I would always prefer a real kit with a real drummer. :thumbs up:

Same here dude....I actually bought an e-kit just to use with my midi drums, & I have to admit, it's helped me understand a lot of shit I was struggling with, but banging on the e-kit has taught me a lot already....Like I never thought I hit harder on the snare when using a ride cymbal, fuck, I never even thought about it, but you know what? I do, & have learned lots of little shit like that...

Same here dude....I actually bought an e-kit just to use with my midi drums, & I have to admit, it's helped me understand a lot of shit I was struggling with, but banging on the e-kit has taught me a lot already....Like I never thought I hit harder on the snare when using a ride cymbal, fuck, I never even thought about it, but you know what? I do, & have learned lots of little shit like that...

Me too, I'm quite amazed at how much I have learned so far. (I had a few months last year with a borrowed kit from a friend and got my own last week) So many simple things. I'm really enjoying learning too which is an added bonus. I didn't want to just buy a kit in case I didn't get on with it and luckily I have a drummer friend.

I never thought about the Snare/Ride thing but it's true. I do as well. I guess it's down to having more freedom of the stick when not playing over the snare on the HiHat. Interesting.

I love the drums. Always wanted to learn and I'll enjoy my journey with them as I have guitar, bass, piano, etc.

:thumbs up:

Me too, I'm quite amazed at how much I have learned so far. (I had a few months last year with a borrowed kit from a friend and got my own last week) So many simple things. I'm really enjoying learning too which is an added bonus. I didn't want to just buy a kit in case I didn't get on with it and luckily I have a drummer friend.

I never thought about the Snare/Ride thing but it's true. I do as well. I guess it's down to having more freedom of the stick when not playing over the snare on the HiHat. Interesting.

I love the drums. Always wanted to learn and I'll enjoy my journey with them as I have guitar, bass, piano, etc.

:thumbs up:

Yeah man, its great...the kit I have is pretty low-end (I saw your kit btw...nice), but it's all I need for now, as I'm a long way from being a drummer, & it would make no sense for me to spend much $$$ on 'em at all...

I know it's cheating, but another reason I bought this kit is so I can edit the midi after the fact...but we gotta do what we gotta do you know???

Back