Can you create an alternative to vinyl barrier?

ob

Several weeks ago someone asked if roofing tar paper and vinyl pond liner could be combined as a sustitute for vinyl barrier, but I didn't see a response. I have been investigating the cost of vinyl barriers, and aside from its cost, it will cost a ton to have it shipped. Therefore, I am looking for a low cost solution and local solution.

Is there any benefit to tar paper and vinyl barrier? :confused:

OB,

I don't know of any off-hand; but if we can retrace a bit, where are you planning on using vinyl barrier? You may be able to use more conventional materials that will give you the same performance, depending on what it is you need to do.

Alex

ob said:
Several weeks ago someone asked if roofing tar paper and vinyl pond liner could be combined as a sustitute for vinyl barrier, but I didn't see a response. I have been investigating the cost of vinyl barriers, and aside from its cost, it will cost a ton to have it shipped. Therefore, I am looking for a low cost solution and local solution.

Is there any benefit to tar paper and vinyl barrier? :confused:
the material i mentioned in that thread was 90 pound roll roofing,not tar paper.
i think it was alex that said he had heard of some one using it to provide mass for sound proofing.

sheppard

While the roll roofing would add SOME mass, keep in mind that "90 lbs" refers to the weight per square. In roofer's terms, that means 90 lbs per 100 square feet, which is only 0.9 lbs per square foot. By the time you equaled the vinyl sheetblok stuff, you would have the thickness of a sheet of drywall. Simpler to just use the drywall, and cheaper.

The vinyl is usually sold for where you can't have much thickness and need the performance over cost. If thickness is a minor issue and cost is a major one, sheet rock and MDF are much more bang for the buck... Steve

That kind of vinyl is often used for linking AirCon ducts between rooms so that you retain your isolation.

cheers
john

Good point John, the flexibility would be necessary in that application.

Just downloaded acousticsfirst's price/specs pdf's, their limp vinyl is $472 for 270 sq ft, that's a full roll which weights 270 lbs. - Not too practical for shipping any distance - they will ship 1/2 roll UPS, anything more goes truck freight.

STL is 15 dB @ 125, goes up to a peak of 37 dB @ 4k.

Ob, you're right about cost. I can't even imagine what 272 pounds would cost to get from Richmond, Va USA to you. Even if the primary cost was acceptable, you'd have to find a supplier on your side of the pond... Steve

You should also consider the fire hazard of roofing felt/tar paper. I read a paper written by someone at the BBC earlier this week. It talked about effective it was but they discontinued its use back in the 60's (I think) because of the fire hazard. When that stuff burns it puts out an unbelieveable amount of fumes and black smoke.

DD

ob, that was my post. After doing a little research I found some pond liner that was 1/8 inch thick. Basically its just rubber (same stuff professional sheet blocking sound barrier is ...I think), like the kind you would find in old rubber tubes (ones used for sledding etc.). I found it at a home depot for $12.50 = 1'x15'. My big concern is, is it a fire hazard??? Its definitely water proof and should be easy to install.

Any comments are very welcome, as I'm still contemplating this.

... Just don't intentionally put it on an open flame....
Now, is it fire retardant..? Probably not.. but it would DEFINITELY suite your purpose. just figure out hos to get the edges pressed together pirmly and evenly to avoid leakage :D

-Brent

just keeps your high voltage wires in a conduit it it's gonna get close to the rubber insulator if you have any worries.. I wouldn't..
but I don't have any real experience sealing rooms..

-Brent

OK, I just weighed the 300 square roll of pond liner. It weighs about 90 pounds. I'm going to do my vocal booth (track room really, I'm the only one using it) with it, I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Back