Can we plug an acoustic guitar directly into the mixer?

Colwarter

Hello there!

I just got my new Takamine eg523sc which I love so much. My band and I have a powered mixer with two JBL loudspeakers. We use this sound system to run the vocals, the keyboards and the electronic drumkit. I thought I could plug my acoustic guitar in it, but when I tried, it didn't sound good. Do you have any trick for me? Do I need to buy an acoustic amp? Do some acoustic preamps exist...so I can plug my guitar in the preamp and then the preamp in the mixer? Thank you very much!

Alex

I don't know about preamps for acoustics. Probably. You just need a good preamp in which to feed your mic. Then all that can go into your mixer.

try a DI box

takamines especially cheaper models have pants piezzo pickups so just fuck around with the EQ untill it sounds right

AER do the best acoustic amp IMHO in the world

I would definately use a DI box to feed the mains, Maybe you might think about an amp only for your own reference so you dont have to depend on a monitor mix. You should probably get a preamp/DI like a radial, or sansamp or something that will have a notch filter. Rane makes a pretty good acoustic preamp, and if you need to shape the sound in a different way aphex makes an aucoustic preamp as well if you need to fatten up a thinner sound.

My band just got 2 Fishman Pro EQ Platinums for our acoustic guitars. They really do help the sound when going DI. Not to mention, they have phase controls, ground lift, XLR and 1/4 outs, etc. Miking acoustics will still provide the best sound.

You can - but a nice mic (or mics) will sound better IMO.
There's no harm in plugging it in *and* micing it up though - the more options the better (unless you're pushed for mixing time).

But you have to deal with the feedback monster if you use a mic on stage.

LR Baggs Para-Acoustic DI is a nice little piece, runs about $150. Will run on phantom power or battery, has an fx loop insert, 5 band eq with notch, input gain and output gain control, xlr effected output jack and a 1/4 inch uneffected direct out to feed an on-stage amp, and the thing is very, very quiet and virtually noise free. Even has a phase inverter switch to fight resonance feedback.

soundchaser59 said:
But you have to deal with the feedback monster if you use a mic on stage.

LR Baggs Para-Acoustic DI is a nice little piece, runs about $150. Will run on phantom power or battery, has an fx loop insert, 5 band eq with notch, input gain and output gain control, xlr effected output jack and a 1/4 inch uneffected direct out to feed an on-stage amp, and the thing is very, very quiet and virtually noise free. Even has a phase inverter switch to fight resonance feedback.

Second that. I have one and I like it a lot. Preamp, EQ, and DI in one package, and not too pricey.

If price is an issue, the cheap-o DI's aren't THAT bad. If you have a good sound guy, they should be able to deal with a lot of the EQ/feedback issues.

In addition to the DI, get a soundhole cover for your guitar if feedback keeps getting you. They seem to work pretty good and don't radically change the sound of the guitar through the mains.

If you're doing coffee houses and stuff with very low stage volumes, then you could maybe consider micing it.

I use a Belcat pickup in mine ... when I DI it sounds like it's going through a band pass filter, no bass and only scratchy treble. I put an SB101 preamp between the pickup and the desk and it sounds reasonably decent for a pickup. That may solve your problem. Otherwise,a re you able to post a sample so we can hear the definition of 'bad'?

I always used a direct box playing a resonator guitar and a mandolin with piezo pickups installed and I always had good luck. This was a loud rock band with a Power drummer as well, actually the direct box was a passive type but all went well, never a problem at all. The key is to go low impedance(balanced) and you keep a fuller signal, you already know what high impedance (unbalanced) will do to the signal. :(

You probably CAN plug straight in to the board, but it won't sound very good. You are not going to damage anything, though. A DI will make a major improvement in the sound.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back