can u help me out?

xrap03

I'm trying to decide between these two interfaces: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 or M-Audio Audiophile 192. Can you give me your opinion about which would be buy? Thanks

All depends on the resolution of the recordings you'll be doing. The 192 is going to provide better quality, but only if you using it at the 192 resolution. Otherwise, I'd just go with the 2496. It is tried and true and will be fine for most if not all applications. Remember, CDs are only 16/44.1, so 24/96 is pretty freaking decent.

fucanay

Also consider the other gear in your setup...

You may also want to consider the kind of gear you'll be connecting the card to. The Audiophile 192 has balanced I/O on 1/4" TRS, while the Audiophile 2496 has unbalanced on RCA. If the gear you're using has balanced connections on XLR or 1/4" TRS, you may want to consider the 192 for that reason also.

Other than that, they're very similar cards (as they were designed to be). They both utilize the same bundled driver as the Delta 44/66/1010 line, and so they have pretty much the same software feature list.

At the end of the day, it basically comes down to whether or not you want/need the higher sampling rate and balanced interconnects. Personally, I'm currently looking into the 192 for just those reasons... I currently use an E-MU 1212m card for 192khz audio on my PC, but the Audiophile 192 is one of few comparable options available for my Mac system. It all depends on what you need for your setup though.

Hope this helps a bit.
-Frank

Back