Can this work? (A.K.A) Is this an acceptable form of reverb?

Irk

So the general consensus is: record an electric guitar amplifier with a shure SM57(yes I know you can do it other ways you jerk, but this seems to be the standard) Now, using the reverb option on an amplifier(also a feature on gasoline/electric hybrid automobiles) and recording with a Shure SM57 microphone is this reverb going to cut it? Is it not going to have the smae psychological dimension and coloring as adding reverb during themixing or getting the ambience for a room? K

If the amplifier's reverb is part of the sound of the guitar you're trying to capture, then yes....... in this case, it's not giving you "room sound" it's simply "the guitar sound!"

Dearest Blue Bear sound or whoever else may be watching,
Let's say it's the only form of reverb a guy can produce. Is this gonna "fool" the headhone or speaker listener into thinking the shit is actually recorded in the cave that Yogi Bear lost his innocence in?

If thats all you got to work with ....One way to find out .... give it a shot.
If you are recording via computer with a program that supports VTS plugins, you could always check out some of these . There quite good and quite free.

Doing rockabily stuff???

Some of my very early 4-Track-Cassette things had a spring verb from a guitar amp as vocal verb - and the rest was dry... Very retroish sound, but don't expect to get any 'reality' feelings...

aXel

You can try to “create” a different reverb for your track. Start by placing a speaker in a reflective environment (i.e., concrete stairway, garage); the larger the space the better. Place a mic in the environment at some distance from the speaker. You should experiment with mic type and location. Then playback the track you’re interested in through the speaker and record it onto another track. A mic with an omni-directional pattern works best but if you don’t have one that’s OK. At mix down, mix the 2 tracks together adding the “speaker” recording to add the “reverb” to the original source.

Give it a shot; this method can produce some interesting sound effects

Blue Bear Sound said:
If the amplifier's reverb is part of the sound of the guitar you're trying to capture, then yes....... in this case, it's not giving you "room sound" it's simply "the guitar sound!"
Truer words were never spoken ! The sound of everything combined - if you like the guitar tone, amp, reverb, room combination - capture it.

It's a little tougher in a small project bedroom studio if you're trying to build a sound that never was, so to speak. In other words, catching the room ambience of a room that's too small or being overdriven by the sound source or if you're close micing is all a lot different than getting a good sound in a good room and capturing that.

If you can't capture the sound you want then you have to augment it - or fix it in the mix. If you're in a DAW then a good impulse reverb like SIR (free VST) and the free impulses at noisevault.com may be the sound you're looking for.

A spring reverb in an amp is a completely different sound than adding digital reverb in a mix. Its not really a better or worse situation but different beast.

I actually prefer to use the sound of the spring verb in the amp, its tends to sit in the mix a little better. I have also reamped other things out to an amp to use the spring reverb on the vocals etc.

Simman said:
You can try to “create” a different reverb for your track. Start by placing a speaker in a reflective environment (i.e., concrete stairway, garage); the larger the space the better. Place a mic in the environment at some distance from the speaker. You should experiment with mic type and location. Then playback the track you’re interested in through the speaker and record it onto another track. A mic with an omni-directional pattern works best but if you don’t have one that’s OK. At mix down, mix the 2 tracks together adding the “speaker” recording to add the “reverb” to the original source.

Give it a shot; this method can produce some interesting sound effects

i use that for drums sometimes. my studio setup is in the basement of a big industrial warehouse, and you can get a huge snare sound by feeding it through the PA into the warehouse and throwing a mic up.

never tried it with guitar though...i guess i usually prefer my guitars pretty dry

Back