Can this be repaired?

whattaguy

There's A Studiologic SL880 controller on ebay for pretty cheap, but a key is not functioning at 100%. Can it be repaired? Is it worth it?

Here's a quote from the ad:

"StudioLogic Fatar SL-880 in excellent condition except one issue; the E note below middle C seems only to transmit low velocities. Hitting it hard produced no sound, hitting it soft does. I bought this off eBay about a month ago because I like the feel of the SL-880 ( I used to have one years back) and I wanted just a nice feeling keyboard mainly just to playback piano sounds from a sound module. Everything about this board is truly in great condition. It looks brand new and everything else works as it should."

Thanks.

Call studio logic. I am not sure what their sensors are but I would assume that it can be replaced

i'll bet the only thing wrong is that keystrip needs cleaning... the whole deck will need to come out to get at the switches from the bottom... use pure alcohol to clean it with a q-tip... get the alcohol they use for thining some paints... in addition to the cleaning i usually move the switches from high traffic areas to low... (midle keys to either end) also when you take it apart lay the stripps out as they came from the board... there's deffinately a front and back to them and putting them in opposite screws up the response... good luck... if ya get hung up PM me...

i'll bet the only thing wrong is that keystrip needs cleaning... the whole deck will need to come out to get at the switches from the bottom... use pure alcohol to clean it with a q-tip... get the alcohol they use for thining some paints... in addition to the cleaning i usually move the switches from high traffic areas to low... (midle keys to either end) also when you take it apart lay the stripps out as they came from the board... there's deffinately a front and back to them and putting them in opposite screws up the response... good luck... if ya get hung up PM me...

interesting...i might give it a shot.

Only buy it if you think you can do the repair yourself. If you have to take it to a repair shop it will end up being an expensive repair and you'll lose all your cost savings from buying it used. In that case you will have basically paid near new price for a used keyboard, so you might as well have bought it new for a little more.

a good tech should be able to do this in an hour or less... so not sure it would be too expensive either way... ymmv...

I don't know what a good tech costs in your area, but here in LA it will probably cost 200-300 for a simple repair or cleaning. Plus, even though the tech might be able to do the repair in an hour, you'll probably have to leave the keyboard at the shop for at least a couple weeks. There's one well known repair shop here in LA that will take months before they can get to your keyboard.

Just saying...

I don't know what a good tech costs in your area, but here in LA it will probably cost 200-300 for a simple repair or cleaning. Plus, even though the tech might be able to do the repair in an hour, you'll probably have to leave the keyboard at the shop for at least a couple weeks. There's one well known repair shop here in LA that will take months before they can get to your keyboard.

Just saying...

Thanks for all your help...I didn't purchase the controller.

I looked at the link, I wouldn't buy that keyboard. Shipping plus repair will put it right up into the cost of a new controller, as they are so inexpensive right now for the lower end models.

I've used those SL-880's and from what I can tell the keyboards do have action problems. I'd stay away.

I've used those SL-880's and from what I can tell the keyboards do have action problems. I'd stay away.

ok... so stay away... it's rare that you and i disagree around here... but gotta tell ya i think your Way off base on this one... the repair should not be as expensive as you suggest... and there's no serious history of failures with these boards... i've worked on a couple of the 880's and many more of the kurzweils that use the exact same keybed... on the one hand i dont give a shit if it never sells... but seems to me some one with a little ingenuity and some minor tech skills could pick up a great controller here for cheap.... YMMV...

I really don't care either way, and I don't see us as even disagreeing. My experience with those keyboards is that the action broke down easily. The ones I've played have had problems in other words. That doesn't mean they all have problems, but obviously the one for auction does.

As far as repair, I'm sure that depends a lot on location. As I mentioned before, here in LA that will be an expensive repair. I had my Roland A70 action cleaned and it was around $250 and I had to leave the keyboard for a couple weeks. I don't think I've ever had any keyboard repair cost less than $175.

Back