Can someone please explain what MIDI exactly is?

How stupid was my question

• Extreemly stupid

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Just Stupid

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Phil02

I was just wondering because I know its some type of interface thing (i belive) but what do you need it for/what does it do?
Thanks,
Phil

Musical Instrument Digital Interface.

MIDI is an agreed-upon set of protocols that allows equipment such as sequencers, keyboards and synth modules, drum machines, computers, and even lighting controls to talk to one another and make events happen or not happen. Essentially it is a digital pianoroll. MIDI itself contains no audio information. But MIDI commands tell a synth which note to sound, when to sound, and for how long to sound. Each "port" of MIDI will in most cases transmit and receive MIDI messages across 16 channels. The channels are assignable to programs in the synth and can be assigned to sound one or more sounds at a time.

When you combine a MIDI synth with a sequencer you can "record" the MIDI data in real-time. The sequencer on your command will start the playback, and the MIDI score will tell the synth to play back the information exactly as you played it. MIDI data can be edited to fix mistakes. If you don't like the sound of the patch you can change that, keeping your original performance intact but with a new sound in it's place.

This is about as best as I can explain what MIDI does.

I think Riley did the job.:D Midi is just an agreed protocol, and is something completely different with than audio. I still see ppl making faulths to that.

btw Phil, to connect follow these rules:

The Midi-Out transfers the information of the machine itself
The Midi-thru tranfers the excact same data that's received with the Midi-In

There are no stupid questions....

...only stupid people!

:D :D

(See.... this is the kind of knowledge that experience gives you! Kind of a bummer, eh??!) ;)

Back