Can someone identify this mic???

Ritzy

Registered (Ab)User
Hi folks,

I recently bought this mic off ebay and have no idea what it is... it's an old school dynamic with a screw-on, 2-pin connector, rather than the common cannon/xlr plug.

Length = roughly 18cm (7 inches)
Width at element cover = roughly 4cm (1 5/8 inches)
Width at base = roughly 2.5cm (1 inch)

mysterymic.jpg

Sorry, I don't have a digital camera so unfortunately only have this pic from the original ebay auction.

Any info on this sucker would be much appeciated. :)

cheers!!

Oh, and I forgot to mention...

There's a four digit serial number stamped into the metal housing at the base: "4345". Other than this, there are no other external markings/logos on the mic.

Also, the silver coloured portion of the housing is anodized silver over what appears to be a brass housing.

Thanks again!

Looks familiar . . .

perhaps from the 60's? It may be a Primo or Aiwa. Be aware that dynamic mics of this era were often high impedance or dual impedance, i.e. 50K or 50K/600ohm intended for tubed equipment. I have sometimes removed the matching transformer from this type of mic. and connected twin screened cable direct to the capsule. The results have been surprisingly good. :)

The grill section definitely looks like a 60's Aiwa or possibly a Calrad. I don't know if there was a connection between the companies but there were a couple of models from Calrad that were very similar to 60's vintage Aiwas.

:cool:

Thanks for the replies!

true-eurt,
I had a look at that site, but to no avail. No matches there...

Oh well, I guess this one might have to just remain shrouded in mystery then... :)

Looks like someone made/re soldered that cable recently (judging by the 1/4'' connector), the mic may be balanced but they changed it for an application and didn't used a TRS connector

So how does it sound?

-jeffrey

Back