Can someone help me decide?

funkdrmr

Hey everyone. Well, I've been reading for months & months, been to a professional studio with my band (pro tools, avalon, neve, neumann, etc..), read more.........then I came back here & still kept reading.

My problem is........I can't decide! I could really use some help here.

Starting off, the goal is to be able to record my band. I am also considering taking this setup to shows to record (I have a SKB gig rig). Recording our band, or other bands live is something I'm definitely interested in.

I have a big drum kit, so 8-10 channels (if I close mic) would be needed at a minimum.

Here's what I have:

PC:
P-IV PC, 1GB Ram, fast hard drive, etc...
Sonar 4 Producer Edition
Cubase SX (the free copy that came with my Audigy 2 card)

Other Stuff:
MXL V69 Mogami Edition Mic
Rode NT1-A
Drum mics (AKG D112, SM57, e609's)
Focusrite Voicemaster Pro
KRK RP8 Monitors
Alesis 3630 (yeah, I know) :(

Here's my dilemma:

First off, I need a sound card and pres....2 idea I have come to mind:

1. M-Audio Delta 10/10 and M-Audio Octane
2. 2 Presonus Firepods.....expand to 3 later on.

The reason I like the Delta 10/10 way, is I can change over to ProTools M-Powered. The one big reason I've thought of this came from when we were in the studio. When the engineer wanted to fix something, he could edit right there in the track. With SONAR (I can't remember about Cubase), I have to edit the track outside of the program, then it snaps back to Sonar. It just seems really tedious to me.

The Firepod solution might be more mobile, but I'll be stuck with Sonar or Cubase....or something else, maybe. Can anyone give me a reason to go this route instead of the Delta 10/10 solution? One hangup I see right now, is how can I hook up the Voicemaster Pro to my computer using the Firepod solution? Also, back to the editing issue......

I plan on rounding this all out with the Tascam US2400, but I don't think it makes a difference on either setup. Just thought I'd put it out in case I missed something.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can swing me either way!

Seriously? I've had Sonar for a while, but lost a lot of stuff (including the manual) in my move out here to Hawaii (i'm in the Navy). Unfortunately, I just started using Sonar about 4 months ago, but I've only done about 7 small sessions with it.

Can you reitterate a little on editing directly in Sonar? Every time I double-click the track, it opens in WaveLab for editing.

I guess my newbness shines!

I'm playing with it some more right now. I've found that I can cut, delete, shift left / right & stuff like that.

Either way, are you guys suggesting that the Firepod solution would be better than the M-Audio solution I lined out? It's looking even better now, seeing that American Musical is throwing in a free headphone amp with the purchase of a firepod.

Back