Can someone give me some knowledge?

metalwill

Hey, guys!

I'm totally new here; just discovered this forum about 30 minutes ago...I found it during a search for advice and know-how on how to record cassette tapes directly into my computer. I use Cool Edit Pro, and will use that to break up the songs into individual tracks, which I will then make into mp3s.

I need to know what I'll need to do this...I have no equipment, really. I do have a computer, of course, but other than that, I have no cassette deck with a line-out jack, or anything.

Basically, can someone tell me what I'll need to get to do this? Is there some kind of cable available that I can get that will go from a cassette deck to my USB port, or something similar? Any tips would be great, thanks!

I don't know of a "line out-to-USB" adapter off hand. If there were such a thing, it would require a built-in A/D converter as well, which would probably boost the price into double-digits.

For eight bucks it would be easier to just get a Radio Shach cable that goes from the RCA line outs to a stereo 1/8" mini plug on the other end. That plug would plug into the Line In jack on your PC soundcard. While the sound quality of your soundcard may not be "top-shelf" it should be plenty good for your purposes of duping off of casette.

G.

metalwill said:
Hey, guys!

I'm totally new here; just discovered this forum about 30 minutes ago...I found it during a search for advice and know-how on how to record cassette tapes directly into my computer. I use Cool Edit Pro, and will use that to break up the songs into individual tracks, which I will then make into mp3s.

I need to know what I'll need to do this...I have no equipment, really. I do have a computer, of course, but other than that, I have no cassette deck with a line-out jack, or anything.
Basically, can someone tell me what I'll need to get to do this? Is there some kind of cable available that I can get that will go from a cassette deck to my USB port, or something similar? Any tips would be great, thanks!

there's a RCA to mini stereo plug( that is cheap and at radio shack or many other places. ~$7. the two standard rca/red&white will go to the output of your cassette deck once you get one, and on the other end a single "stereo mini plug" will plug into your computers sound card, the LINE IN jack.

I don't know about cassette to USB? maybe someone else can help out there.

Then your software should be able to create a file/record from the soundcard input(cassette)...

I recently bought a small adapter at Future Shop that has RCA in (Left/Right) to USB out. Cost ~ 69.95 CDN. I think it even had a rebate.

http://www.adstech.com/products/RDX-150/intro/RDX-150_intro1.asp?pid=RDX-150

They provide both an RCA cable and a USB cable with the adapter. I ran out of the RCA jacks on my mixer to the adapter then out the USB cable to the USB port on my laptop. They even provide NERO software for you (which you probably don't need.)

It's not perfect but it will get you by. I think there are also a bunch of other pro-music interfaces you can buy like M-Audio that might be ok.

Reminds me that I have about a zillion tapes to convert to .wav or .mp3.

Back