Can someone actually "buy" your songs or is it illegit?

amyelizabeth

So that's the question. One minute I get a response as is "Don't trust anyone that syas they want to 'buy' your songs from you....and then the next someone says "One day someone will want to 'buy' your songs and you will have to let your 'babies' go." Which one is right? is it just semantics?:confused:

Normally, you sell the right to your songs - such as a publishing deal where the publisher has the right to the song for x (let's say 24 months). At the end of that time, all rights revert back to you. You don't actually give up the copyright - you simply give permission for other to use the song and you agree to share some percent of income (publishers nomrally get 50% of any income)

As indicated you can trasfer a copyright (for a fee) - which is in essense, selling your song.

In the old days (back in the 60's & 70's) it was not uncommon to sell songs - often people would play a song for someone, the listener would like it and offer $50 - $100 for the song. However, that type of arrangement is rare.

While I agree it may be a good idea to "lawyer up" - the fact is that costs money, often more than a poor writer has. My personal opinion is, unless you are absolutely possitive you have an amazing songs and are possitive you have the connections to get it into the right hands - it may make more sense to make something (even if you give away some rights) rather than make nothing (and have some bragging rights to a song that no one will even hear/publish/record).

Nice to see Xdrummer back and posting great advice.

You don't want to give away, transfer or sell your copyright ownership to any of your songs. You can license them out or allow a publisher to try to get your songs placed; they would get the publishing rights by agreement.

There's a lot of details to learn about the business side of the music business. You should look for a book to help you out. One or two comes to mind:

6 Steps to Songwriting Success by Jason Blume
and
The Songwriter's Market printed annually

Hey Thanks you guys!! I appreciate the music history here, xDrummer. That term now makes much more sense!

I'm not sure anyon would buy mine on itunes, just because well,....no one would know I put it on there; but maybe if my voice continues to improve,.. I can get some people to check me out on there one day. Otherwise, I think right now, that my songwriting capabilities have to be the thing that makes a CCM publisher check me out....or for anyone else to be interested either.

So, since this was a duplicate...how in the heck can I delete a thread? lol. really, I can't figure it out.. and I'm pretty nerdy enough. lol.

So, since this was a duplicate...how in the heck can I delete a thread? lol. really, I can't figure it out.. and I'm pretty nerdy enough. lol.

A mod can merge the two threads. Maybe send a PM to one of them. There used to be one mod here who would take the time to do those kinds of things... but he quit. Can't remember his name.... :rolleyes:

Back