Can Some Answer This: Is There An Option Missing In MIDI Port Set Up - [Q7 full]?

jamusic

Solved: Can Some Answer This: Is There An Option Missing In MIDI Port Set Up

Ok, so after re-reading the manual regarding setting up MIDI devices, it seems that the option to specify MIDI channels 1-16 is not there for my keyboards & sequencer inputs in the Devices>Setup>MIDI ports set up page.

The way it reads to me, there is supposed to be an additional option for this along side the 'In All MIDI', but there isn't. There's an empty bunch of slots next to it, and right or left clicking all around & everywhere does nothing.

Now matter what I try, nothing works, and the tracks all show the same MIDI activity as if I had clicked 'All MIDI'.

I do have the options for output channels on my MIDI devices & modules, but absolutely nothing for any incoming channels/devices.

So whether I play the keyboard, and use different MIDI channels, or send different MIDI tracks from my sequencer, the same thing happens - they all echo the same note on/off messages in all tracks as if just one track is playing to all of them - a.k.a OMNI mode.

To double check that this isn't my keyboards, I quickly opened Sonar, added a MIDI channel, and play the same keyboard without changing a single thing in either DAW.

Then I switched MIDI channels and it worked just as it should. Individual MIDI channels were available from 1-16 in the DAW as I changed them on the keyboard, where I can pick & choose any one of 16 in Sonar's MIDI track.

I have the OMNI option there as well.

In Cubase, it is operating in OMNI only [In 'All MIDI'], so something is definitely missing in the MIDI Ports Set up page.

I must admit I'm new to seeing 'Direct Music' & 'Windows MIDI', which are automatically displayed there - perhaps that's the problem.

According to the script in the 'Help button section', there should also be 'MIDI System'
as well, but there isn't.

Anyone else have this problem?

My devices: Yamaha P-200 Piano - MIDI Channels 1-16; Novation ReMote 37 SL - MIDI Channels 1-16 -[doubles as a MIDI interface]; Roland MC-50 Sequencer - MIDI Channels 1-16, TC Electronics SK48 Audio/MIDI Interface.

I'm not willing to believe that Cubase can't see or recognize 16 separate incoming MIDI Channels from common MIDI devices, [especially the Yamaha P-200 - hello!], so any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm assuming there's something simple that I know not about in this DAW verses my other 2 that have no issues with this task.

My 3rd DAW - not a newb by any means other than just new to Cubase.

Thanks,

James

Last edited:
OK, so I'm back with some results!

I spent hours & hours reading the manual yesterday, and although I started back at page 124 & then onto 595 as suggested on the Steinberg Cubase forums, I decided to jump around to the other suggested pages within as I was making my way through.

Sure enough this took me from 595 all the way back to 440, 449, 460, 580 and so on.

I learned about an option called the 'Input Transformer' and discovered just how very in depth this & the other options are in this DAW, which are quite impressive, and I'm even more pleased now about purchasing it.

And although I may have eventually stumbled upon this in the manual, I was only at page 293 so far in my reading, and I must admit I do have a history of starting to read things, but not necessarily always finishing them. :o

It would've been weeks before I'd get to that page in the manual, if at all.

In addition to which, even after getting there in the manual, I may not have attributed the 'Input Transformer' to be what I needed for some of my MIDI needs, so a huge thank you to 'SLD Music' on the Steinberg forums for pointing this out to me. :D

So I set up a few templates with the 'Input Transformer', tried it and it looks like this will work for me.

I must say it does seem a bit odd to me to have to block out the 15 MIDI Channels I don't want in each track, as opposed to just picking the one that I do want, [like in Sonar], but that's ok, now that I know how to work it, and set up templates if I want to.

I do see the logic of having all inputs firing up in the tracks as the default mode though, and how this is much easier for most MIDI input tasks overall.
. . .
Now I do want to share an additional option I found in the manual last night just in case others are not aware of it, particularly for new comers not so familiar with MIDI.

So again, my main task here was to have my sequencer send individual MIDI tracks/channels to separate tracks in Cubase & record them that way.

But...instead of using the 'Input Transformer', there's a much easier way to do this, which I tried last night & it works really well.

Instead of adding numerous MIDI tracks & trying to segregate each recorded sequencer MIDI Channel into them, I can just start with 1 MIDI track, and send the entire sequence to record into it in one pass.

If desired, set Cubase as the Master clock, the sequencer as the Slave, and record it all just into the one MIDI track.

Then...disable record, go up top to the 'MIDI' menu, down to 'Dissolve', and after reviewing the 4 options there, click 'Ok', and Cubase automatically reads the MIDI file, adds only the required number of MIDI tracks and then separates them, including setting up their respective MIDI Channel outputs right away.

Now how cool is that??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Some may already know of this option, but for those who don't, it's very quick & easy.

This alone will save me literally boat loads of time, as I have hundreds of MIDI sequences going back to 1996 that I'd like to use & continue on with.

I'm moving forward with the learning curve, and enjoying what I see already! :)

James

Back