Can Pro Tools Digi 001 record in 24 bit/96KHz?

Shailat

001 doesn't support 96kHz but has 24 bit .

If I understand correctly, the hardware and software will be able to be upgraded to do just that.

Well, these things are a bit too rich for my blood, but I'd be willing to bet you all the beer you can drink in one night (in or outside Utah) that since Pro Tools is the software of choice for the discerning audio engineer of today, that it records in 24-bit/96KHz. But Pro Tools and Digi 001 are two different things, right? My understanding is that Digidesign 001 is some kind of hardware/software package that uses Pro Tools Lite.

But I'm about as confused as you are. Except for the beer.

Actually, I've done a bit more searching, and ... digi 001 can't, and neither can Pro Tools. There's a big fat debate going on about it in digidesign's forum. Most users I've read tend to think that although it doesn't support 96KHz that it doesn't really matter, and that stability/compatibility is much more important than sample rate. I'll just quote a bit (the misspelling is his):

"Ever been somewhere that raves about 24/96 but tracks through SM58 and Mackie console? Someone who is serious about 24/96 is going to have to spend a **** load on equipment, from start to finish, that makes the change worthwhile. I can't take seriously anybody who bitches about 24/96 and doesn't have any better convertors than those in the 888|24."

Could be. Of course, some are saying:

"I think there are still alot of surprising reasons why 96khz sampling might be better than
44.1/48 khz. These probably aren't the result of an increased bandwidth - they are almost certainly temporal effects to do with the time smearing of low level artifacts that we think contribute a lot to our image of an ambient sound stage…..I think the argument for higher sampling rates is a good one, considering ALL of the variables. I would like to see Digidesign take a serious step into implementing higher sampling rates and let the users decide if they want to use it or not."

I'm just shopping around, really, trying to figure this out. As for me, I'm probably gonna go with the guy who says it isn't worth the $. As for the beer….pretty safe bet.

Squashboy

Squashboy said:
Actually, I've done a bit more searching, and ... digi 001 can't, and neither can Pro Tools.

Squashboy

Digi 001 and mbox doesnt support higher then 44, but the digi 002 and up supports 96 and beyond. Where the hell did you read that pro tools cant support 96??? It supports up to 192 sample rate with hd hardware.

Ok I just erased the huge amount of info I just wrote. Somebody decided to revive a 5 year old thread. :eek:

Back