Can not using gold platted connectors damage a condenser mic?

RockClimber

Okay, so I just purchased a new condenser mic and I am very happy with the overall quality of it. However, the instruction manual recommends using only cables with gold platted connectors, as the mic has gold platted contact points throughout. I have used the mic on several occasions now with just a regular XLR cable and love the sound but I don't want the mic to be damaged by not using a cable with the gold platted connectors. Does anyone know if using just a regular cable could cause any damage to the mic itself? Sound quality isn't my main concern, as I think it sounds great with the regular cable. Thanks!

possible minimal signal deterioration transferring from one metal to and other ..... but real minimal. Beyond nitpicking!

Thanks y'all! I figured there wouldn't be any problem with using regular cables but the guy I talked to at my local music store told me it could cause severe corrosion and other damage if used. I guess he was trying to pressure me into buying some expensive cable I don't need. I feel much better now, thanks for responding.

Gold isn't as good of an electrical conductor anyway; The only reason it's used on such devices is because it doesn't oxidize nearly as fast.

Gold plated connectors are designed to take money from the Audiophool brigade, not to improve sound quality.

Oxidisation is a slight possibility in the connectors themselves but, even then, they only affect the connection not the microphone. Frankly, I've only ever seen a problem in connectors not used for a long time, for example the rarely-used end of an audio jackfield. Even then, plugging and unplugging a few times scrapes the connectors enough to restore things. I've never, ever had a problem with an XLR connector, even on permanent installations.

Bob

Gold isn't as good of an electrical conductor anyway; The only reason it's used on such devices is because it doesn't oxidize nearly as fast.

And you get a better connection if you use the same metal on both contacts. Having a different metal with electricity flowing through it can create a chemical reaction.

Having said this - it won't make any real difference, other than possibly having to clean the contacts more.

Seriously, in going on 40 years of doing this, I've never had to clean an XLR connector. Just inserting them and pulling them out normally creates enough friction to keep them fine.

In the unlikely event you have a problem, then, yeah. Contact cleaner--but don't rush out and buy a can. You won't need it.

I must say I had an old Ramsa mixer that was in a smoky rehearsal space for 15+ years only using three input channels. The other 9 were coated in brown yuckynesss yet still worked. Contact cleaner may be useful in say ten years but I'm not sure the product will still be good if you buy now. :)

Yeah, I've had to clean things like the faders and pots on mixers in the sort of environment you mention...but never the XLRs.

Seriously, in going on 40 years of doing this, I've never had to clean an XLR connector. Just inserting them and pulling them out normally creates enough friction to keep them fine.

In the unlikely event you have a problem, then, yeah. Contact cleaner--but don't rush out and buy a can. You won't need it.

Right, never heard of cleaning a connector... but if you HAD to, use a pencil eraser. Seriously.

However, the instruction manual recommends using only cables with gold platted connectors, as the mic has gold platted contact points throughout.

Please tell us which mic manufacturer did this so that we can find out if they're getting kickbacks from Monster Cable. :D

Right, never heard of cleaning a connector... but if you HAD to, use a pencil eraser. Seriously.

For the plug, yes. For the socket, not so much. Spray contact cleaner inside the holes, then plug and unplug repeatedly. Be sure to use non-conductive contact cleaner, and don't do this with a hot mic cable.

Back