Can my PC work for Recording Music

JeffDRO

Now I have self built computer I built for gaming. It has an integrated sound card on the Motherboard.

I want to buy a good Microphone for recording but I think I am going to need a special sound card do you all agree?

If so what type of sound card should I go for..

My PC Specs:
AMD Athlon X2 5800+ 3.0ghz
3GB DDR2 Ram
4870 HD 512mb Video Card
250gb HD
Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe Motherboard

So what will I need to be able to run a good Microphone on my PC?

Thanks in advance.

Do what Jim Lad suggests.

Your PC is fine for recording

Look for a new soundcard; onboard cards don't handle recording very well. Try USB interfaces, or, if you can get a firewire card, have a look at firefire interfaces.

Do what Jim Lad suggests.

Your PC is fine for recording

Look for a new soundcard; onboard cards don't handle recording very well. Try USB interfaces, or, if you can get a firewire card, have a look at firefire interfaces.

I decided im going to get this:

PreSonus FireStudio Mobile FireWire Audio Interface

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--PRSFSMOBILE

Im also going to get a nice mic. I was looking at this one.

Audio-Technica 30 Series AT3035 Large-Diaphragm Cardioid Condenser Microphone

http://www.activemusician.com/item-...Large-Diaphragm+Cardioid+Condenser+Microphone

What do you all think?

What do you all think?
Well...... I think you asked for advice and took it. That's good!
I think you may be in too much of a hurry to spend your Christmas money though.
That looks like a nice mic. I haven't tried it but I will say this.... Good quality, condenser microphones start at around $350. (My opinion) With that in mind, the difference between a $50 mic and a $200 mic is $150. I'm not saying that you should buy a $50 mic but if you get something for around $100-120 then you have more money to spend on an audio interface. (Your engine)
So I'd say "Slow down and look around a wee bit".
Look for a microphone with PAD & Bass Roll Off and see if you can't come up with an interface that supports ADAT I/O. (That's an extra 8 channels down the road.)
Other than that.... actually, what you have already chosen is a healthy start to a home studio.
Start looking at DAWs.:D

Well...... I think you asked for advice and took it. That's good!
I think you may be in too much of a hurry to spend your Christmas money though.
That looks like a nice mic. I haven't tried it but I will say this.... Good quality, condenser microphones start at around $350. (My opinion) With that in mind, the difference between a $50 mic and a $200 mic is $150. I'm not saying that you should buy a $50 mic but if you get something for around $100-120 then you have more money to spend on an audio interface. (Your engine)
So I'd say "Slow down and look around a wee bit".
Look for a microphone with PAD & Bass Roll Off and see if you can't come up with an interface that supports ADAT I/O. (That's an extra 8 channels down the road.)
Other than that.... actually, what you have already chosen is a healthy start to a home studio.
Start looking at DAWs.:D

I found the same microphone for $139 at a different site. From the reviews I have read its as good as a $500 mic.

What are DAWs?

Digital Audio Workstation.

Can refer to the software you use, i.e. Sonar, Logic, Cubase, etc, or the recording computer as a whole.

So if I buy the Firewire or USB interface I still need a better soundcard for the computer if I have an integrated soundcard on my motherboard?

Back