Can my amplifier act as a power amp for a Preamp?

BDiNkY30

I'm looking into buying the ENGL e570. So far I'm on the fence due to the fact that i will only be able to record with it (mostly what I'm trying to do) because i have no power amp. I have read things about people using their marshall heads or whatever brand etc.. to power their preamp. I own a marshall AVT 150hdx. Ultimately my question is, can i use my marshall to drive the e 530 throught a 4x12 cab and if so how to i go about doing that. I know an easy solution would be to buy a power amp but money is tight and I'd very much like to take the easy way out on this one.

You just run the output of the Engl into the effects return of the Marshall.

I am basically an idiot when it comes to this stuff. I do apoligize. So you're saying i will still have my marshall's tone and the ENGL's tone on top of that, projecting out of my 4x12?

The majority of your tone comes from the preamp, where the tone controls are located. The power amp section simply provides the "oomph", so to speak. To put it another way: in general, the function of a preamplifier is to amplify a low-level signal to line-level, while the power amplifier provides the higher current necessary to drive loudspeakers.

You will likely not have your marshall tone anymore. Instead, you'll have the Engl tone. If you want both, you'll have to run the two amps parallel, meaning buy an A/B/Y box and split your guitar signal between the two amps and then run it into a stereo 4x12 or two 2x12s.

Elbandito....pretty sure he is wanting to bypass the Marshall pre and only use its power section.

Back