Can miking in stereo be done like this?

Irk

Okay...We all know that to mic in a stereo fashion we need the XY(blobbidy blah bla bla)pattern, and a matched pair of mics. Can this be done with dynamic microhones? 2 57's? This may be a bad question. K

The only requirement to recording in stereo is having two mics placed in a stereo pattern. The type of mics used only change HOW it will sound, only the placement pattern itself determines how realistic/effective the stereo image will be.

Please anyone willing, Here's your homework: Explain a vocal recorded in stereo to a person who is very intelligent, but lacks any recording experience or knows the jargon. Make it sound interesting and inviting. You are an avant garde teacher. A painter with no knowledge of how to build pyramids can suddenly speak egyptian when you're done with them.

Blue Bear Sound said:
I thought I *did* give him the simple answer! ;)

I guess I've been hanging around the Soundclick forum a little to much. I don't think they would have understood your answer and asked you for clarification. ;)

Irk said:
Please anyone willing, Here's your homework: Explain a vocal recorded in stereo to a person who is very intelligent, but lacks any recording experience or knows the jargon. Make it sound interesting and inviting. You are an avant garde teacher. A painter with no knowledge of how to build pyramids can suddenly speak egyptian when you're done with them.

I will phrase my advise as a haiku

A breath; a lone voice
Casting stones across a pond,
Returns from the shore.

mshilarious said:
A breath; a lone voice
Returns from the shore.
But grasshopper
Your reflection is clearer
Keep distance between the pebbles
Three times the distance to you
The waves will meet as one :p

Yo, Irk. Stereo recording is a process where 2, or occasionally more than 2, mics are used in such a way that when panned partially or completely left and right to 2 speaker arrays, attempt to model or replicate the audio information that comes to the two ears of a person present at the actual performance. In order to do this, the 2 mics must pick up slightly different information, just as the 2 ears of the listener do.
There are a bunch of ways to do this. The X-Y technique, often called coincedent stereo mic'ing, you mentioned. Other popular versions include spaced stereo mic'ing, ORTF, mid-side (M-S), binaural, and the Jecklin disc. There are a number of other systems which while not strictly stereo, can sound very good, such as a Decca tree. Do a search on each of those systems and you'll find lots of stuff. Here's a really useful link for you-

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/

Check the section on stereo techniques.
And as to your first question. Yeah, you can use 2 SM57's as a stereo pair, but they are not very well suited for it. They lack reach, and aren't particularly sensitive. Can you use a pickup truck for a Grand Prix racer? Sure, but don't be surprised if you don't get past the qualifying round.-Richie

mshilarious said:
I will phrase my advise as a haiku

A breath; a lone voice
Returns from the shore.

Very nice haiku! I think haikus turn out best when they start out as jokes.

They're strangely calming...

Back