Can I use this to record through......

leaningpine

I'm on a tight budget, no more than $200 bucks for what I'm looking for.

I need a soundcard with an adat lightpipe input so I can hook up my behringer ada 8000 8 channel a/d converter, can i use this one?:

http://tinyurl.com/24kodev

From what I've read I beleive it has what I need, I just wanted to ask you guys to make sure it does.

If anyone else knows of a soundcard under $200 bucks that has ADAT lightpipe inputs please post your findings.

I'd be delighted to be wrong about this, but I don't believe that card has lightpipe functionality. Wikipedia says:
Lightpipe uses fiber optic cables (hence its name) to carry data, with Toslink connectors at either end, making them identical to S/PDIF optical cables. However, the data streams of the two protocols are totally incompatible. S/PDIF is mostly used for transferring stereo or multi-channel surround sound audio, whereas the ADAT optical interface supports up to 8 channels at 48 kHz, 24 bit.

I've no idea how complete or up-to-date this table is but it certainly offers some pointers...

it has optical in and out, I just wanted to make sure I would be able to have 8 channels instead of just two, anyone else?......

You won't get two channels. If you mate your Behringer unit with an ADAT TOSLINK input you will get eight channels. If you mate it with an S/PDIF TOSLINK input you'll get nothing.

The Marian Marc A is an example of an ADAT interface card - I have no experience of using it...

Last edited:
Cool, That's what I was hoping for. Thank you! I think I'll go with the marion as I just found out the other sound card is s/pdif in.....

Last edited:
Never heard of Marian, but you are aware that PCI is going the way of the Dodo, right? Also... seriously? An ADAT interface from this century that still doesn't support S/MUX for higher sampling rates? That should just require some pretty basic driver code.... And no 64-bit support, and no Windows 7 support.... IMO, you're setting yourself up for a very expensive lesson if you buy this product....

Regarding the other one, as a general rule, anything by Creative is designed for gaming, not recording. You should just plain avoid everything they sell. And, of course, as you noted, it won't solve your problem anyway.

I think you'll be a lot happier if you buy a product that was actually designed for recording and has decent support from a major manufacturer. There are plenty of companies with established reputations in this area, but the two companies you've mentioned so far aren't on that list. You might get lucky and find a diamond in the rough, but it's a crapshoot. I'd look for products (preferably external USB or FireWire products) by better manufacturers.

I tend to group manufacturers into quality tiers, ranging from consistently exceptional down to usually usable.

The intent is that only companies that almost always make solid products make it into the top tier.

The second tier is a combination of products whose quality is more variable (some cheap junk and some good stuff) and companies that are lesser known (whose reputation hasn't been thoroughly established yet).

The third tier is companies whose products are known to be not-so-great, but they're cheap.

Top tier:
  • Apogee
  • Echo
  • Edirol
  • MOTU
  • RME
  • Tascam

Second tier:
  • Focusrite (I debated whether this should be first or second tier)
  • M-Audio
  • Mackie
  • Phonic (too new to the digital space to have much of a rep yet)
  • Presonus

Third tier:
  • Behringer
  • Alesis
  • Lexicon

Hint: search for an "audio interface", not a "sound card" or "ADAT card".

It's better to spend a little more and get something that will work well. Spend less, buy twice. The bottom end for usable ADAT-capable hardware is probably about $350. It's usually only provided on higher end hardware because most people are using it to add an extra eight inputs to an interface that already has lots of inputs.

You might be better off selling the Behringer and buying an audio interface sufficient to handle your needs rather than trying to find a way to build a system around ADAT.

I must say that I don't disagree with anything dgatwood says in that well-considered and very detailed post - the only real counter-argument is your budget. Whilst the Creative simply would not work at all, that Marian PCI card is likely the cheapest option that is technically specced to talk to the Behringer (so long as you have a PCI slot). Things such as S/MUX, 64bit support and Win 7 support may or may not be priorities for you, but if you go for a more mainstream piece of kit you'll likely get better drivers and OEM tech support. You'll certainly get more help from communities such as this one: if you go for a commonly used product you'll find fellow users willing to share their experience (though ADAT itself will likely prove a minority pursuit, as dgatwood points out).

Bottom line: if you have the money, you probably should spend more, and consider carefully whether you should really work around the Behringer. But at least you now know that Creative cards are generally seen as no-go for musicians, that S/PDIF and ADAT are incompatible, and that you'll only get a cheap ADAT card if you make a lot of compromises...

Back