Can I use my MXL V67G CONDENSER Mic on Stage?

Just buy a 58. You will feedback more quickly with the MXL and you also run a larger risk of harming your mic. 58's are fairly indestructible.

Although i totally agree with JG96 about it being worth just picking up a decent dynamic mic to solve a lot of problems the MXL could cause, i'm also wondering why you want to use the MXL live. It's something i've thought about a couple of times because i have a couple of LDC's that really suit my voice, and i'd much prefer to use them. However, apart from the mic suiting your voice better perhaps, are there other reasons? Do you sing very quietly and want something more sensitive which may need less gain? Do you want something big to hide behind when you're performing? (not a joke at all, i was a singer/songwriter for year and had times where i'd loved to have been able to hide behind a big mic as a safety blanket as there was no one else on stage with me and it meant every eye was trained on me instead of other band members). Is it because you plan to record the performances?

Although i totally agree with JG96 about it being worth just picking up a decent dynamic mic to solve a lot of problems the MXL could cause, i'm also wondering why you want to use the MXL live. It's something i've thought about a couple of times because i have a couple of LDC's that really suit my voice, and i'd much prefer to use them. However, apart from the mic suiting your voice better perhaps, are there other reasons? Do you sing very quietly and want something more sensitive which may need less gain? Do you want something big to hide behind when you're performing? (not a joke at all, i was a singer/songwriter for year and had times where i'd loved to have been able to hide behind a big mic as a safety blanket as there was no one else on stage with me and it meant every eye was trained on me instead of other band members). Is it because you plan to record the performances?

It is a money issue. I'd like to have 1 microphone to use for both. But it looks like im going to go with a Audio-Technica AT2020 USB Condenser 100$ vs 300$ for (Interface/Mic/Chords/Stand). And just buy a Dynamic mic later, for live performances. I will only be using it to play covers/songs on youtube. Not professionally record.

When money is an issue (and it is for most of us at one time or another), a good alternative to the SM58 is the ES58 from GLS Audio. This is a 58 clone which is really rugged, sounds similar to the 58, and sells for $30. The ES58 is not a silver bullet, but if you google you will find many positive reviews.

The short answer (imo) is yes, unless you are using a wedge monitor. The single LDC placed carefully can pick up both your vocals and guitar

Back