Can I use a XLR to 1/4 cable for my Sennheiser e835?

alexlaf

Hi,
Just bought a Sennheiser e835 that comes with a XLR to XLR cable. I am wondering if I can plug in a XLR to 1/4 jack?

Thanks!
Al

Yeah, sure, but you need to tell us what you're plugging it in to.
If you're plugging into a line level, or instrument level, input then no - It's not going to work because there's no microphone preamp in the chain.
A microphone puts out a very low voltage signal compared to line or even instrument.

If you've got some gear with a 1/4 microphone input then that'll work.
Be aware that TS 1/4" is unbalanced and TRS 1/4" is balanced.

Your mic output will be balanced but your mic preamp, if you have one, may or may not be balanced.

The physical connector is simply that - It doesn't tell you about much about the capabilities or 'expectations' of the equipment.
That said, mic inputs are via XLR more than nine times out of ten on modern gear.

Tell us more, please. :)

Hi,

I have a Fender Deluxe Amplifier, I want to try it in there first, but mainly, this mic will be used for upcoming gigs I'll have with my band. Since places have different sound kits (sometimes I have to use my amp, some other times they have the soundboard there), I want to be sure I can use this mic both with XLR to XLR and XLR to 1/4.

I don't know much about this, thanks for helping me out!
Al

Yeah, sure, but you need to tell us what you're plugging it in to.
If you're plugging into a line level, or instrument level, input then no - It's not going to work because there's no microphone preamp in the chain.
A microphone puts out a very low voltage signal compared to line or even instrument.

If you've got some gear with a 1/4 microphone input then that'll work.
Be aware that TS 1/4" is unbalanced and TRS 1/4" is balanced.

Your mic output will be balanced but your mic preamp, if you have one, may or may not be balanced.

The physical connector is simply that - It doesn't tell you about much about the capabilities or 'expectations' of the equipment.
That said, mic inputs are via XLR more than nine times out of ten on modern gear.

Tell us more, please. :)

Last edited:
If you plug the mic into your guitar amp, then if you bellow into the mic you will get a bit of something, but the amp you have is designed for high impedance guitar pickups, not low impedance mic level. Pointless - but you could buy a cheap 4 channel mixer that has XLR ins and then feed the output into the second channel. Be aware it will also sounds pretty horrid - guitar combos are not designed for a flat response, so you may be rather pushed to get a good microphone tone.

Aside from the fact that it will sound all low-fi and probably feedback pretty bad because it's coming through a guitar amp, it should work just fine. It'll also probably work fairly well into a line input on most mixers. There is no impedance issue. The actual level may be a little low, but this microphone is almost twice as sensitive as an SM57/58, which I know from experience will work into a Line input in a pinch.

The level's gonna be way too low - we all know that.
I googled it incase this was some miracle mic and the first google hit was someone telling me that this particular mic into a line input gave a signal that was way too low to be useful.

Check it.

Well, so it needs gain. Guitar amps generally have plenty of that. Mixers generally have trim controls. In fact, it's usually the same trim control and sometimes even the same gain circuitry for both mic and line inputs. Just that the mic input usually has more gain or the line input is attenuated before it reaches that gain stage. S'pose there's no good reason to use the line input when you've got a mic input, but it would work. You'd might be compromising S/N, but that depends on just about everything else, so...

I never said it was ideal. I did say that impedance has (almost) nothing to do with it. It's only a matter of getting enough gain without adding too much noise.

Turn your guitar down to one, turn up the gain on the combo to get it back to playing level and see if you like the sound of the guitar, because this is going to happen.

On the impedance issue, it does matter, and you can still buy an inline transformer to make the match a lot better and make it usable. Like this.
MA-100/15 - UNBRANDED - MIKE MATCHING TRANSFORMER | CPC UK
It won't make it sound nice, but it will work. Just.

Impedance doesn't have to match. In fact, we'd prefer a mismatch from low source>high load for everything this side of the power amp. That transformer might help with the gain issue as it will step up the voltage along the way, but only if it is relatively flat and doesn't add noise of its own.

EDIT - Rather than continue with a futile thread full of "yes it is" "no it's not", I'm going to post these:
voltage-divider-w.gif

RCFilterCalc.jpg

And then ask you to explain your position re: impedance.

Last edited:
Back