can i use a shure sm57 to record vocals?

a microphone to record the sound of other microphones? like what, the sound of two other mics hitting each other like drumsticks?

Jahn said:
a microphone to record the sound of other microphones? like what, the sound of two other mics hitting each other like drumsticks?

curious indeed

interesting concept

:D

Yeah, you can use it. Lots of people do but it really comes down to the sound you're after. It's not very good for my voice unless I'm doing a thrash type of song but ya got nothin to lose by trying it...give it a shot. :cool:

Dogbreath said:
:D

Yeah, you can use it. Lots of people do but it really comes down to the sound you're after. It's not very good for my voice unless I'm doing a thrash type of song but ya got nothin to lose by trying it...give it a shot. :cool:

sweetness.

I'm gonna do death growls in the style of Death, Carcass, Opeth, Nile, Morbid Angel, you get the idea...

Watch the proximity effect with the growls...it gets a little rough to mix. If you've got a lo-cut somewhere in your chain, ya might want to use it...
another 2c......... :cool:

some mics (not the 57) and some gear has a switch that will cut the lows. Another might be a hi-pass which is similar. It lets the hi's pass while ditching the lows.

I use it to record snare, guitar cabinets and vocals. I know it's not the best to record vocals, but it does the job fine for me.
I would suggest you use a pop screen.
Cheers!

Dogbreath said:
some mics (not the 57) and some gear has a switch that will cut the lows. Another might be a hi-pass which is similar. It lets the hi's pass while ditching the lows.

High Pass Filter = Low Cut Filter. Different name for same circuit

Now, I'm not saying that all HPF/LCF are created equal. Obviously one HPF could sound different from another depending on how they're built (or programed, in the DSP world), but the two naming conventions refer to the same end result.

Sir Paul McCartney has used an SM-57 for his vocal mic on several of his recordings, so if a 57 suits your voice, you'll be in good company.

Back