Can I use a Condensor Mic on this?

HarleyRider

I've got the PA combo amp shown below...It has one 1/4" phone jack for mic input on mic channel 2 and an xlr input on mic channel 1. It also has a high and low instrument input.

I've plugged in a mic into each and they work. There is no phantom power. Does this then have a built-in preamp? Could an external preamp be used to drive a condensor mic?

What the heck is a preamp anyways and why do some mics need phantom power?

pma7.jpg

not trying to be a jerk. but isn't there a thread at the top of the page that says "Microphone FAQ-you may already have the answer to your question."

its a wonder how much you can learn by just reading a little bit.

It's just that a lot of the threads I've read here talk about models that are condensor and I don't know if that's an option for me or not. Am I limited with this hardware that Ive got or not?

mishagolin said:
not trying to be a jerk. but isn't there a thread at the top of the page that says "Microphone FAQ-you may already have the answer to your question."

its a wonder how much you can learn by just reading a little bit.
That's pretty rude. I have gone throught that faq. It was informative and I learned a lot. Up until I joined this forum about a week ago I never knew there were differences in mics. It's mind boggling for a newbie to try to absorb all of this and sort thru it all. It's easier to comprehend if you ask a speciffic question and get an answer speciffic to it. Thanks anyways mishagolin.....sorry for bothering you.

HarleyRider said:
It's just that a lot of the threads I've read here talk about models that are condensor and I don't know if that's an option for me or not. Am I limited with this hardware that Ive got or not?
If you have a volt meter, see if there's 48VDC from pin 1 to pin 2, and from pin 1 to pin 3 on the XLR mic input on the amp.

If there is, you're fine for using a condenser mic. If no voltage reading, you'll need a phantom power supply.

I read in this forum that there are amazing differences in mics. It might sound silly...but I never realized it until this forum......isnt that what forums are for....getting useful information exchanged.

Ive read how some mics are better than others for certain things and I dont know if I can use some that are mentioned or not.

Harvey Gerst said:
If you have a volt meter, see if there's 48VDC from pin 1 to pin 2, and from pin 1 to pin 3 on the XLR mic input on the amp.

If there is, you're fine for using a condenser mic. If no voltage reading, you'll need a phantom power supply.
Thanks....simple enough...I'll check this evening. I appreciate the help.
PS: Is a phantom power supply the same as a preamp?

HarleyRider said:
Thanks....simple enough...I'll check this evening. I appreciate the help.
PS: Is a phantom power supply the same as a preamp?
No, a phantom power supply just supplies the needed 48 Volts DC (to pins 2 and 3 of the XLR, to power the mic. A preamp boosts the low level mic signal up to line level.

Harvey Gerst said:
No, a phantom power supply just supplies the needed 48 Volts DC (to pins 2 and 3 of the XLR, to power the mic. A preamp boosts the low level mic signal up to line level.
Thanks. One last question.
I checked my amps manual and it doesnt say anything about phantom power. Is the phantom power supply a safe thing to use with any pa amp or should I be concerned about using it?

Big Kenny said:
What Are You Trying To Do???????????????????????????
Record Or Play Live Or What?????????????????????????????
Live usage with that combo pa amp above. Just wondering if I can widen the horizon as far as mics go by being able to choose from some condensor mics on the market instead of being limited to just the dynamic mics.

HarleyRider said:
Live usage with that combo pa amp above. Just wondering if I can widen the horizon as far as mics go by being able to choose from some condensor mics on the market instead of being limited to just the dynamic mics.
By using an inexpensive phantom power box, yes, you can then use any condenser mic with your present system.

There's a thread I posted somewhere on HR about making your own phantom power box, using five 9 Volt batteries, a couple of resistors and condensers, and a couple of XLR's. The whole thing could probably be built for under $10.

HarleyRider said:

Condensers live can be tricky. What application do you intend for the condenser mic?

There are a few condensers that can run on internal batteries, these might work for you.

mshilarious said:
Condensers live can be tricky. What application do you intend for the condenser mic?

There are a few condensers that can run on internal batteries, these might work for you.
Okay...wasn't aware that condesors weren't as suited for live. Basically....the immediate need is for 3 mics (we'd like to get 3 the same as recommended by someone recently on a different thread)....we'd like to max out at $100 or less for each....we're concerned about feedback.

Harvey Gerst said:
By using an inexpensive phantom power box, yes, you can then use any condenser mic with your present system.

There's a thread I posted somewhere on HR about making your own phantom power box, using five 9 Volt batteries, a couple of resistors and condensers, and a couple of XLR's. The whole thing could probably be built for under $10.
I don't know how much one costs to buy....but I'll take that option into consideration if we go condensor.

I wouldn't use a condenser live, except under exceptinal circumstances i.e. a very good room, low volume and excellent equipment. I wouldn't expect an improvement when using a condenser on combo like that. You could always move up the line in dynamics and get a nice beyerdynamic or EV for yourself

get some shure sm57's and a sm 58 or 2 and you are good. i would not use a condensor live cause of the abuse factor. people kick them,spill beer on them.

Back