Can I transfer from Hi8 to PC ? How ?

ustadjohnny

Hi people,
I'm a newbie to the world of computer recording and hence I have a lot of questions :) Can I take the data from the Hi8s to my PC and mix down in my PC ? It would save me a lot of studio money :p What softwares do I need for this ? I have an assmebled PC with 128MB RAM, 16GB Hard disk space, A creative ENsonique Audio PCI soundcard, Cakewalk, Soundforge, Audiograbber etc.

I'm assuming that you mean Hi-8's as in the Tascam line of MDM recorders. So you need a sound card with a TDIF in. Right off hand I don't know of any, but some cards have an option for TDIF in- Aark 20/20 and Aarkk 24 come to mind and I think maybe The Delta 10 10 has that option. ANd then ther is the MOTU line which has everthing. I think there are some TDIF to ADAT or AES/EBU converters which would expand you options, out there but I'm not sure who makes them.

Or maybe consider a digital mixer with a TDIF option....

-jhe

Hi James,
Thanks for the reply but me completely confused ! As I said, I'm a newbie, and my sound card doesn't have a TDIF port. Is there no way I can get multitracks onto my hard disk and mix down at a later date ? One option is getting each individual track onto a DAT and recording that thru soundforge and then taking it into Cakewalk and mixing down, but it's too cumbersome. What is this digital mixer thing ur talking about ? I can have access to a TASCAM D8000 (I think that's the model#) But where and how do I hook it to my comp. Or do I have to record each track separately from the mixer ? But then sync problems ? I'm totally lost !

TDIF, ADAT optical, AES/EBU, SPDIF, these are all protocalls for digital transfers. They all have different types of connectors. (This really dosen't matter- just some information.) TDIF and ADAT transfer 8 tracks while SPDIF and AES/EBU are stereo transfers.

What exactly is you set up now? You could, like you said transfer tracks one (well two cause it's stero in probably) at a time and then line them up in Cakewalk- this is a BIG PAIN IN THE...

Do a search on digital mixers- you might find some better answers than my drivel... :D

-jhe

Back