can i survive without a mixer?

atw23

well im ready to try recording again, ive gotten over a bad case of red light fever.

i have everything i need except for space to work and a mixer,

i cant do much about space but can i get by without a mixer?

im recording direct from a p.o.d and keyboard my only problem is acoustic guitar whose preamp cannot boost the signal high enough , maybye i should just use the onboard mic?

also when i press record the monitored signal becomes very loud and harsh but when i play it back it sounds fine, i know this is normal but its very annoying to not hear the signal exactly like its being recorded, can anyone help me out? thanks..

You should at least have a small mixer with a basic EQ. Look at my set up, it's pretty basic but I get a decent sound. The problems that I had in setting up have been resolved thanks to the many knowledgable people in this forum. Please ignore the comments on the site I will be deleting them soon.

Here is pic of the MIXER: http://mr8-setup.gq.nu

Take care,
Ben

i see u all have more space

u guys obviously have a better space to record in than i.....i can hardly play an e chord without banging into my table .and i agree i need a little mixer but im still unsure about my other questions.

i will be editing my tracks an the pc which will allow me to be even lazier than normal... i think i will need a mixer to allow me to rehearse my tracks without having the mr8 powered all the time up just to rehearse . i guess i will have to break down and buy one... here is a stupid question............. should i buy a radioshack mixer? or should i just shell out the extra papers and get a name brand mixer?

I would not go for the RS mixer. Behringer has some very good low cost models. Their basic model start at about $60 and work fine with the MR8 or anything else. I have used the MX02A for some years now without a single problem.

Ed

Also low on space. Here's my very compact MR-8 setup w/ pre and hook for phones.

Attachments

• alsolowonspace.jpg
    alsolowonspace.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 89
I'll have to dig up my webcam when I get home, you guys will love my hovel! My MR8 sits on the box it came in! I just acquired an old entertainment center to put some of my shit on, maybe this will free up some space so I can better stow my stuff...

Well, you'd be amazed how much of a dig cam you can get these days for a very good deal usb and all...

Alesis, Yamaha, Samson (Zoom), and Nady also have mixers in the same price range as the Behringer. There are a lot of options out there to explore if you go the mixer route. I'm personally biased toward the Yamaha and Alesis brands. I don't know a lot about Samson or Nady other than I have some Nady condensor mics and I've been impressed with their performance.
All I know about Behringer is what I've read in this forum and it appears from the remarks I've read people either love their products or they hate them. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground where Behringer is concerned.

Back