Can I run my bass direct in this mixer?

Speedy VonTrapp

I have a behringer 1204-FX PRO, and I'm wondering if the pre-amps in it will work for direct recording of bass.

I'm only looking for a rehearsal recording. Just for the purposes of learning, music wise, nothing for a real recording at this point.

I may have a matchbox to use, but I'm not certain, so I want to be ready to have to mic the cabinet if I have to. But, if it will function just plugging into the mixer and using it's preamps, then that's what I'm going to do.

Thanks,

-Speedy

It'll function just fine. In the olden days I used to track bass like that through an old Peavey MD-16 mixer.:eek:

ACK!

I just want to clarify one more thing before I ruin my equipment...

If I'm plugging into the mixer, that's straight from the bass guitar, and I don't go through the amp head first, right?

Yes. bass ...to mixer ... to ... well, where ever you want to go next!.... either a (choose one) .... a power amp, powered speaker, to your sound card....etc.

I often play my bass through a little mackie 1202 to a powered mackie speaker. I actually think it sounds pretty darn good with that set up.

make sure you start out with trim and levels set fairly low.... and then work up to a good "un" distorted sound.

Just an update...

This didn't work out very well for me.

We could hear the bass, but it was far below the levels of everything else, and that was with the gain knob just about max, and the slider at 0dB.

All other tracks were positioned well below 0dB, and not near full on the gain knobs at all, and there was pretty much no bass when all played.

I'll have to look into seeing if the matchbox is available, I guess?

If I can't get that, or another DI option is out of price range, how does one go about micing a bass amp well? Similar to a guitar amp, as far as stay close to it, or move away from it more?

Thanks,

-Speedy

Back