Can I record to a stand alone CD recorder on the fly?

trtab

As I'm playing my guitar, can I send the realtime signal through the preamp/mixer and then have it recording onto a CD as I am playing?

I would assume that there would need to be some kind of buffer as in RAM memory or a harddrive as in the Alesis Masterlink. DO most mainstream CD recorders like the Tascam's allow this?

trtab said:
As I'm playing my guitar, can I send the realtime signal through the preamp/mixer and then have it recording onto a CD as I am playing?
I don't beleive so...... the recording takes place onto an intermediary device (such as a hard drive), then gets burned onto CD........ like the Alesis Masterlink........

Wait, you're talking about consumer-type stand-alone CD recorders, right? Then I would say yes. A club I sometimes play at has a Tascam CD burner in their rack, and the engineer will record the shows upon request.

I know I can record on the fly to my consumer Sony CDR500 if I switch its input to analog rather than digital. I use it quite a bit to take streaming internet audio to cd. All I had to do was buy enough connectors to make one end a headphone jack (for the computer) and the other end RCA for my burner.

Also, if your burner is able to record on the fly, you might want to think about running it through a compressor as well. If not, you may have a real hard time getting an even signal going to your burner.

Good point, m98ter. At the club I was talking about, they run a submix through a limiter to prevent clipping on the CD-R. As long as the soundman takes the time to work on the submix, it usually sounds pretty good.

Depending on the model you use, you can have it add track numbers automatically. It's usually dependent on a strong signal after a certain amount of quiet.

Back