can I ptr scrn sound????

Elyst

Quick question, is there some sort of software that records the sound output of the computer (and not the environment around it).

Smth like a print screen only that we're talking sound.

If you'd suggest, just stick a mic in from of the sound output. I'd say I don't want the surrounding sound, only the computer sound.

Find the file with the WAV or whatever and copy and paste it into your DAW.

Soundblaster cards usually have a "What You Hear" option in the recording input list. Otherwise you could run a cable from the output to the input. Just make sure you aren't monitoring the input when doing that or you'll get nothing but feedback.

If you're on a mac you could either use WireTap Anywhere or you could use a combination of LineIn and Soundflower. The second option is free, but is a little bit harder to set up. I have no idea about PC solutions except for going the hardware route. I can tell you from experience that WireTap Anywhere is a really great program, though.

I'm kinda curious how you integrate this into Sonar. I was trying to record a stream over the weekend but got error messages about the hardware being in use by another app-- in this case WMP. My solution at the time was to route the line out from a soundblaster card back into Sonar via a LynxAudio 2A card with a patch cable.

I know there are apps that will perform this function directly, but haven't messed around with any of them.

Understand. But when trying to select the Soundblaster as the source in Sonar the option is greyed out when WMP is already in use. When I closed WMP and rebooted Sonar I could select the Soundblaster in Sonar, but then WMP gave me the "hardware is already in use by another app" message.

any time i've ever wanted to do this, it's been a little hassle....luckily all my interfaces have spdif in and out (digi003, mbox, motu828),
so i send system audio out spdif, and set protools to record on spdif in.

Much easier than most other options, and obviously much better quality than soundblaster line out -> mic in.

I always felt that re-patching was about the most inelegant way possible of achieving the desired result.

I set up the loopback function a couple years ago but I guess I was overthinking the implementation of it and couldn't figure out how to apply it.

My Roxio audio editor software has a 'record from ...' feature you select the soundcard output and viola ...

Back