Can I paint my bass drum head?

It would have a small - but relatively insignificant impact on the resonance. However, since the kick drum is the one drum you normally want to control resonance, this is not a bad thing.

I've never used paint, but I have had people create some pretty cool drawings on my kick head using magic markers. Remo can take a digital photo and impose it on a custom drum head. I don't remember how much but it wasn't too unreasonable.

This is my kick drum:

AJreso.jpg

The graphic is a large sticker on top of a standard resonant head. It's pretty thin and is probably comparable to a coat of paint. It dulls the sound a little, but as mentioned, it's beneficial if you want a thuddy punch from your kick drum.

Is this a stupid idea, or can I paint my drum head? Reso head, obviously. Thank you. :)

NO!

Ok...yes..but you have to include a dragon, flames, a monk or sage, a skull, a religious symbol, a sexy chick (or any part thereof...especially the booby parts), anything with bat wings, a motorcycle, genitalia, your initials, a leaf or leaves (of you-know-what!!!), the name of a band, or any combination of the aforementioned.

Last edited:
NO!

Ok...yes..but you have to include a dragon, flames, a monk or sage, a skull, a religious symbol, a sexy chick (or any part thereof...especially the booby parts), anything with bat wings, a motorcycle, genitalia, your initials, a leaf or leaves (of you-know-what!!!), the name of a band, or any combination of the aforementioned.

What about kittens?

Thanks for the advice everyone -

mikeh - I hadn't even thought of drawing with magic markers, but it's a great idea. I looked at the photo-printed head, but I want something cheap and cheerful, so I've decided to go the diy route.

Greg L - amazing looking graphics. How much did it cost to get done, btw?

If you're into the artsy stuff consider watercolor paint or indian ink, on a nice white coated head. They're thin enough to not deaden the head too much. Pastels would be cool but would smudge if you're gigging often.

If the head is smooth, might be able to scratch design into it then smear crayon into the scratches(?).

I had some airbrushed by a 'pro' way back when. He sanded, primed, & painted those poor things into mere wallhangings.

But... If you don't mind a 7"+ port, paint it with whatever you want. The head isn't doing anything anyway.

i taped out the design i wanted on mine and then sprayed gold spray paint and then a protective covering spray
and it came out fine

Back