"Can I' our first "real attempt" at recording

lesterpaul

This is our first good attempt at what we percieve as a good recording, i.e. track by track, not throw up 2 mic's and go...lol...this is recorded in a cinder block basement with little room treatment, actually just some OSB boards to keep us separated when we get the basic tracks down. Thanks for listening

I really like the vocals, very up front and clear, kinda blues travelerey. I think you need to focus on the snare drum, the ring is annoying, and it just seems boxy. Keep it up

Bigsnake00 said:
I really like the vocals, very up front and clear, kinda blues travelerey. I think you need to focus on the snare drum, the ring is annoying, and it just seems boxy. Keep it up

what would you do, as far as getting the drums right? Our setup is the snare and bass are mic'd and I'm using a condensor just right over the toms. I panned the bass drum right, snare left, and the condensor right up the middle. Is there a better way to do it? I was micing each tom but we got serious roar and other problems, also I was using the bass rolloff, should I just run it normal? thanks for the feedback....

After listening again, I think the snare is just too loud in relation to the rest of the kit. First, keep the bass drum in the center of the mix, this will give it more presence. I think the bass drum could also use some eq to tighten it up. I like to use one overhead condensor, and placing it over the middle is pretty effective, you need to boost its volume in your mix, the cymbals are just a little too quiet. The snare needs a little eq, try bringing out some highs, give it more of a crack. The ringing overtones are fine, you might try dampening them with a folded paper towel taped to the head. I think the ringing suits the music, just coming on a little strong. I'm not sure what type of eq you are using so its hard to tell you specifics....but hopefully you can get the general idea

thanks ...I'll look at those things. The EQ is KRV I think that's right, it's a free plugin that I found out about on here, it's easier and better than the one that came with home studio ....

First off...great tune with an excellent feel to it. I am a novice at recording, but I will give you my thoughts for what they are worth. Move the snare down in the mix and bring up the kick and hats. The snare ring sounds good, it is just that the rest of the drums seem buried. Maybe reduce the width of the panning between the bass and rhythm guitars. It kind of sounds like you are playing in different rooms. You could also double the rhythm guitar and place one track panned L and one R. Bring the bass into the middle or just off to the L a smidge to anchor the whole L/R image together. I am on my 4th listen, and this tune keeps growing on me. :)

Cool tune. I agree with the snare stuff. Backing off its volume will help. I had a hard time hearing much of anything else with the drums. Bass drum is typically placed right up the middles. You get both woofers pumping it.

It was very hard to hear the bass guitar. It sounded like it had very little meat to it, and very stringy. How did you record it ? What did you plug it into ? Reason I am asking, is you might have an impedance mismatch problem. Like if you used a d.i. box, then you DON"T want to go through the d.i. of your interface.

Not sure what your set up is, but the bass sounding like it had recording problems ?

Back