can i make a cardioid a hypercardioid???

dcptnsdcvd

i just purchased and audix fusion 4 pack.
3 F10's and 1 F12.
i have looked on the audix site to find the diffrences of these fusion (budget) mics and the renowned D series mics.
the only diffrence they seem to list is that the D seires is hypercardioid and the fusion is cardioid.
i got these mics 4 for the price of one, a damn steal as far as i'm concerned. i have been advised to invest in the D series mics (the D2 and D4) everywhere i've asked about good drum mics. so i saw these audix made ones and grabbed em, having not enough budget for the D series ones.
i was wondering if, possibly by alteration, i can get the same performance as the D seires out of these fusion ones.
would i have to make them hypercardioid? if so, how would one go about this?
and really, just how much better is a hypercardioid than a cardioid??
does anyone know anything about these fusion mics and their performance??
i would like to find out as much as i can about them.
Mike...

ok, i DIDN'T purchase the mics.
i was highest bidder at the end of the auction, yet my ebay account thingy whatever it is tells me i lost the auction.
this is my first time bidding on ebay, i guess this just means i'm a fuckin moron.
thats pissed me off for the rest of the week.
does anyone in here have any idea what i did wrong? and who the hell won the auction if i was the highest bidder at the end of the auction??? the highest bidder wins right?????
i'm livid now....
Mike...

Reserve

Was there a reserve that wasn't met?

Take a look at the guides and FAQs on the eBay website. They're dizzyingly comprehensive in explaining how everything works.

eBay auction

Okay, I'll answer my own question ... since you have the same screen name on eBay as here, it's easy to see that yes, in fact there was a reserve that wasn't met.

The high bids on items with a reserve are often really low ... I guess a lot of people don't bid on reserve-price auctions. Note that if there's a "buy it now" price, the reserve is often close to it (there are some good reasons for this: like the fact that the "buy it now" disappears when there's a bid over the reserve). So people really tend not to bid on those, unless they're ready to hit the "buy it now" price. Result: a sub-reserve final competitive bid on a buy-it-now item is pretty meaningless as an indication of anything.

On the other hand, occasionally sellers will sell to the high bidder, even if he or she didn't reach the reserve. EBay evidently doesn't like this ... that's why there's that strong disclaimer on the final result screen when the reserve isn't met. So it does sometimes pay to be the high bidder, even if you don't make the reserve. However, a high bid of $75 on an item that has a $299 buy-it-now price is extremely unlikely to result in a sale.

Just another unrelated "by the way" note: with sunglasses and zero feedback, you may get your bids bounced from some auctions. I suspect you would be able to calm the nervous seller (if you come across one) by e-mailing him/her/it with your real name, a real e-mail address and some indication that you're not going to flake out when the time comes to pay. FYI, if it comes up.

Last edited:
Back