Can I include OEM software when selling soundcard?

Ptron

I just bought a Firepod and am going to sell my Aardvark Q10. When I sell it, can I include the unregistered Cabase LE that came with the Firepod? I'm know I can't sell the cubase on its own. I'm fairly heavily invested in Sonar at this point don't intend to use the Cubase.

Yes, it was bundled with the hardware and should be included. If you tried to sell it seperately, well, that would be ethically worrisome.

Thanks folks, but just to make it clear, I'm talking about taking the software that came with the firepod and including it with the Q10 when I sell it. I wouldn't worry about it so much except I'll probably do it on ebay.

Is there a market for Aardvark products nowadays... I mean, they are out of business aren't they?

I realize that your card might (or might not) work for someone right at this moment, but driver development is essentially frozen in time, there won't be any way to use with 64 bit OS, etc. and if something does go *fritz* there's nobody to call for parts or whatever. I'd say you're a heckuva salesman if you can get someone to part with their hard-earned cash for this one! Not that you can't, but my hat's off to you.

Then again, I've seen an Aardvark card (new-old-stock) for sale for several months now in the "discount" display case at a local big-name retail music store. I've been scratching my head over that one, too. I wonder if they're telling the prospective buyers that the company is kaput...

Can you say E-D-S-E-L?

How's this sales pitch: If you plan on sticking with XP for a few years, It's a great system for pretty damn cheap. Plus it comes with Cubase.

Ptron said:
How's this sales pitch: If you plan on sticking with XP for a few years, It's a great system for pretty damn cheap. Plus it comes with Cubase.

The Aardvark cards command a better price on ebay than one might expect considering the status of the company and drivers.

I have an Aardvark usb device that will never go obsolete because of driver issues. It uses the generic windows driver and there are other specialty drivers (asio, etc.) available for it as well. It has good hardware and great build quality, and if the other Aardvark stuff is made as well I can see why there's still a market for it. In fact, for someone with an older PC it can be an attractive option because the minimum system requirements are very modest in today's market. (anybody got an LX6 or 24/96 they'd like to part with for cheap? PM me.)

Outside of the US it's picking up popularity... primarially because of it's features and price... I've had two foreign colleges contact me this year with questions about their "new setup" one in vietnam and the other in france... more and more questions in the yahoo group are being posted either in spanish ...or really bad english. :)

i dont see any problem with selling the software.. even seperately... its not like you hacked it and are selling it with a "virtual H2O dongle" .. you did pay for it (even though it was bundled).. and you have the registration code or whatever... so sell it to help pay off the firepod... or send it to me and ill sell it, to help buy some more mics :)

Back