Can I have some feedback on my room layout please?

markburgle

Hi everyone, just trying to set my bedroom up for mixing. I know you're supposed to have the speakers against the shorter wall, but one of my shorter walls is very irregular, as you can see below - fireplace, alcove, wardrobe.

The "Desk" is where I'll be mixing (I'm considering getting a shorter one so my speakers can be closer together and my "equilateral triangle" can have a smaller footprint).

My questions are:

1. I'm not sure if it's better to have the speakers against the irregular wall - as in the 1st image - or facing it (my guess would be the latter)?
2. Can I get away with having the sofa to the side of my mixing station like this or is that going to cause imbalanced reflections?

Also any other thoughts about how I can best tackle this room - obviously acoustic treatment is another question but I'm just focusing on layout for now. Thank you!

20230928_105129.jpg

20230928_105207.jpg

where will the speakers go? Personally I'd go for the second one, but put the sofa where the chest opf drawers is, opposite the window. You also then have the option to move th desk towards the bed, and put a little more distance beyween you and the speakers (if they're attached to the wall?plan.jpg

the latter)?
2. Can I get away with having the sofa to the side of my mixing station like this or is that going to cause imbalanced reflections?

Also any other thoughts about how I can best tackle this room - obviously acoustic treatment is another question but I'm just focusing on layout for now. Thank you!

View attachment 133541
I would do the first design - and get rid of the sofa - or if room sufficed move to the back of the bed - I don't like the idea of covering up the Fireplace - is it an active Fireplace? The second design is asking for issues because of the door -

To be honest, I'd just be tempted to put your monitors where you want, and play some tracks. Don't pick busy ones, but well recorded ones with voice and another instrument, and have a good listen, then move the room around and go with the best and least tiring sound - then think about treating any weirdnesses. I really struggle with near fields, adding a few feet really firms things up for me.

Thank you both for the replies - the speakers will be on stands to the sides of the desk.

Papanate - is the door is an issue because of mismatched reflections? Was hoping matching coverings both on the door reverse and opposite wall section would solve this.

Rob, in your proposal would the chest of drawers not also produce uneven reflections?

The fireplace is not active, don't worry. Purely ornamental/a pain in the arse.

The door is actually correct. That's the way doors shoud be. Thinking about it, all my doors are wrong.
What do I know, but I was thinking Plan A was good, and have the speakers standing off each corner of the fireplace.
I know not to put speakers in corners (ha, mine are in corners, but there is simply no room), but I would have them standing free of the
wall too. The recesses either side of the fireplace give you that.

Back