can i have 2 soundcards installed at once?

delah

is it possible to install a new soundcard and still be able to keep the original card installed so that i can switch between the two?

YES...but

Yes you can depending on what your current card is, most on-board sound cards can remain active if you install a new one, but the question is why would you want to? Also make sure the drivers don't interfere with eachother.
One more thing... when I built my new computer I had to physically jump connecting pins to allow/deny the on-board audio.

Good luck!

I've had as many as 3 PCI soundcards in one machine.

I/o magic cheapo card
RME 96/8
Gadgetlabs 496

you'll probably be ok, cross your fingers though.

Glad you asked this question - I've always been curious myself. I've been using a SB Audigy 2 Platinum for sometime - it's great for gaming (which is important for me) but has also been great for recording (no problems with latency or noise). However, I've been considering trying a real soundcard just to see if there's something I'm missing (I'm doubtful there's much). But, I'd hate to give up the SB's capabilities in games.

yes, i have two one for running out music, and one for running out any real time effects i use. However, i do switch between them when i boot up between hardware profiles.

I have a Delta-66/Omni Studio and a SB Audigy 2ZS in my machine. Delta for live recording and the SB for midi/soundfonts. Use em both in Home Studio XL. :)

so then how do i go about re-installing my old on-board card? im using the emu 0404 in a pci slot. i tried just goind to add hardware through the control panel (im using windows) but i couldnt find my original card on the list to install. is there a special way to go about it so that you can have both cards installed?...because when i installed the emu it obviously uninstalled the first one on it's own.

firewire 410

aaroncomp said:
Glad you asked this question - I've always been curious myself. I've been using a SB Audigy 2 Platinum for sometime - it's great for gaming (which is important for me) but has also been great for recording (no problems with latency or noise). However, I've been considering trying a real soundcard just to see if there's something I'm missing (I'm doubtful there's much). But, I'd hate to give up the SB's capabilities in games.

i have an maudio firewire410 which works great if you are interested. it has clean preamps and you could still keep your audigy 2 for gaming/midi/etc. I have all the cds, power supply(not necessary b/c it uses bus power), and an extra firewire cable.

Hmm check the bios maybe theres something you need to turn on/off? Restart the comp. press F2. I had to do this when I got a new HD :S. Old bios A02. Also try in device manager to scan for hardware changes. Or just reinstall the drivers for the old card.

L8er,
livilaNic

P.S.
Let me know how that card works out btw. I'm looking to get the 0404 or the M-Audio 2496. But I like like the WDM driver better then the ASIO. Hey can you also let me know if the software that came with the 0404 is optional or not?

Thx,
livilaNic

Last edited:
when you install the card from the cd it comes with it gives you a whole list of software which lets you decide what you do or dont want to install. there is one part of the software called patchmix which is kind of the mixer interface for volume settings, etc.. this program may be needed, but im not sure since i havent tried to use it without it

by the way, i solved my dual soundcard problem buy purchasing a pair of powered speakers which work very nicelly with the emu..so forget about that old stock card....

I have the emu 0404. My PC would not boot with my old card still in. I had to remove it. However I think you can use the emu with another emu to add more inputs. However you are limited on system resourses. Many people run into that problem because they have too many things hook up to the PC. If you want the best performance for recording dedicate your PC for Recording only. Remove everything from it. Like printer, scanner, card reader. Or create a porfile thats plain.

I think that the only way that you can use two different cards in the same program is to go WDM for the drivers. If you are using the low latency ASIO, I believe you will only be able to use one card at a time.

Back