can I get some opinions on this mix? (cover of 'Grease')

Hi Warren.

Nice choice of song. I do love the Bee Gees. To be honest, it's pretty high gain compared to what I was expecting. Although it's a smoking guitar riff!

Vocals are cool - again, I'm judging them relative to the overall sound you have there. Nice outro. One thing I'm not sure on is what I belive to be the kick drum during the chorus. Is there a double-kick at certain parts?

yeah guess I shoulda explained I generally crank things up to ten, even when covering old disco songs. heh.

yeah there's some gallop-y things going on during the chorus on the double kick drums. too much ya think?

warrengtype said:
yeah guess I shoulda explained I generally crank things up to ten, even when covering old disco songs. heh.

yeah there's some gallop-y things going on during the chorus on the double kick drums. too much ya think?

To me, yeah, but that's just me. It's pretty cool to cover something like that in the way that you did. Are those guitars micd or samplituded? They sound good.

Dude, I'm all about cover songs, and thats fucking awesome. VERY well arranged and performed. Very unique. Big kudos man. :)

If I had to critique anything about the mix, I'd say that the snare could come out some more. The kick, while sounding great, seems to overpower the snare. And the main vocals are a little buried and dry sounding. Maybe put some crisp reverb on em and they'll pop out a little more.

Overall, its freaking fantastic. :)

thanks greg. for a while I was making mixes where the snare was popping out TOO much, so I think this mix is probably a reaction to that. you're probably right, I'll most likely go in and bring it up a hair. I actually just mixed it right before posting it, so I'll give it a day before going back and listening again, making some minor adjustments where necessary.

the vocals do have a touch of verb and even delay, but not enough to where it can be heard over the wall of guitars bass and drums. I don't like having too much of that kinda stuff so I go lightly, but it probably could use a touch more.

thanks a ton for the feedback!

Guitars sound good

Vox sound good

drums sound like crap

The whole song is well done but could use a little.. um.. slop? Sounds too "computer" to me. And I don't mean the tone, I mean the choppy articulation.

heh, could you define "crap"? what exactly don't you like about the drums?

choppy articulation, well, that's just "me". I learned to play from old mid 80's thrash. I love it. :D

warrengtype said:
heh, could you define "crap"? what exactly don't you like about the drums?

choppy articulation, well, that's just "me". I learned to play from old mid 80's thrash. I love it. :D

Is it a program or a drummer or what?

What's 'articulation'?

TelePaul said:
Is it a program or a drummer or what?

What's 'articulation'?

well, technically I'm the drummer as I sequenced the parts. but yeah it's midi going through EZdrummer.

I assumed by 'choppy articulation' he's talking about the way I play guitar, with the chugga chugga parts and the quick stops. maybe i'm wrong?

warrengtype said:
well, technically I'm the drummer as I sequenced the parts. but yeah it's midi going through EZdrummer.

I assumed by 'choppy articulation' he's talking about the way I play guitar, with the chugga chugga parts and the quick stops. maybe i'm wrong?

I think the articulation is referring to the drums...like...are they lacking in flow.

oh! dur, I thought he meant the TONE of the drums was crap. he just thought they were too perfectly played. ah. well, I dunno, maybe it's because I'm not a drummer but I like that! I don't like slop. maybe I could work on 'humanizing' the parts some though. point taken.

warrengtype said:
oh! dur, I thought he meant the TONE of the drums was crap. he just thought they were too perfectly played. ah. well, I dunno, maybe it's because I'm not a drummer but I like that! I don't like slop. maybe I could work on 'humanizing' the parts some though. point taken.

Yeah it's tough to humanize midi drums. I like to work with loops for that reason.

Yeah the drums could definitely use some 'humanizing'. They don't sound terrible, but its very obvious that they're fake. It's still very good overall though. I've heard worse fake drums.

TelePaul said:
I think the articulation is referring to the drums...like...are they lacking in flow.

Exactly.. the drums kills the tune IMO. You guitar playing is tight, as it should be. The drums don't groove at all.

AND they sound like crap. have no meat to them and the kick sounds a little too clicky IMO.

gotchya. I actually disagree about 900 percent that the tone of the drums is bad, but that's just mah opinion.

one nice thing about using midi and ezdrummer, I just went in and took out some of the odd gallops in the chorus. not so easy with a real drum track! but uh, maybe that'll help some. ;)

*and really, thanks for the input guys.

warrengtype said:
one nice thing about using midi and ezdrummer, I just went in and took out some of the odd gallops in the chorus. not so easy with a real drum track! but uh, maybe that'll help some. ;)

Lol. But real drums are a trillion times cooler than fake ones. ;)

Greg_L said:
Lol. But real drums are a trillion times cooler than fake ones. ;)

yeah, right? I only wish someone could convince my neighbors of that...

if you're going to try, please also explain to them that I need to crank my dual rectifier for at least 2 to 3 hours a day because it's way cooler than software amp sims.

and if you get the chance please also tell them that I'm sorry I still haven't returned their power washer. in fact, why don't you go ahead and carry it over there for me... you know, if it's not too much trouble or anything. :D

Back