Can I get integrated sound...?

drumsagogo

I'm ordering a new Dell and it's a bit more money to get "premium sound" (sound blaster). Since I would be buying a PCI sound card (say a 1010) I assume there would be some way to disable the integrated sound...right?

Or is this asking for trouble (having sound on the motherboard)? I don't mind spending a little more if it will be smoother in the long run.

What did Mike have to say? He would be most qualified to answer this.

I'll take a stab:

Generally, no problem disabling onboard sound either via BIOS or within the OS itself, sometimes a jumper on the MB. It may be trickier with the brand name computers, Dell, Bell, HP, PH, CBS, ABC etc. Getting into the BIOS may have you stumped for days on the name brand machines.

But, in the here and now, I doubt it will be much of a problem.

You might want the onboard sound to use for midi.

I have a Dell that I use as a DAW (with a 1010 in fact) and I left the integrated sound card as is. I used it as a midi sequencer until DXi's came along and routed all the audio through the 1010.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts (wow, did I just say that?) that if you ordered the upgraded Soundblaster, you'd still have a motherboard with integrated sound, they'd just disable it for you. It's not too difficult to do (usually just a jumper on the motherboard and/or a setting in your BIOS), and like dachay2tnr said, there's no need to disable it unless your hardware doesn't play nice.

I wouldn't sweat it.

Sean is right. On Dells, the sound is on the motherboard. It can be disabled in the BIOS. However disabling the on board sound doesn't always release the resources used by it - in the case of Dell I'm not sure. That's why I always tell people to avoid name brands like Dell and bbuild your own, or have a local vendor build it for you to your specs.

Sound Card

Hi---
Is Turtle Beach Santa Cruz a good sound card for recording music using Cakewalk software?

Any suggestions on soundcard for recording using Cakewalk???
Thank you.

drumsagogo: good choice IMO. I made a few steps on the way to my C-Port (which is probably a step or 2 down from the Lynx).

nshresth: on the whole, most cards are compatible with most programs. Cakewalk works with most cards, and Turtle Beach cards work with most software. Compare the options in your price range and choose the best software and equipment that fit your needs. Then check to make sure they work together (which most do).

Choice

Thank you,
but could you tell me whether I should get Sound Blaster Live 5.1 or Turtle Beach Santa Cruz----
Which one is better if I am going to use guitar and record songs using cakewalk???

I have to make one choice ....

Thank you.

To be honest, I don't have first-hand experience with either. From what I remember reading, they're both considered to be among the better quality consumer level cards. My guess is that they're both 16 bit cards (I know the SB is), so if The TB is 24 bit, definitely go with that one.

Use the Search button at the top of the screen and search this forum - you'll find posts by users of both. If you don't find what you're looking for, go ahead and start a new thread (don't be shy) :)

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Back