Can I do this with a Zoom H4N?

gbross

Can I import a WAV file to the H4N (i.e., a recorded Bass line) and assign this WAV file to a track in multi-track mode and then overdub on another track?

Thanks.

Can I import a WAV file to the H4N (i.e., a recorded Bass line) and assign this WAV file to a track in multi-track mode and then overdub on another track?

Thanks.

Yes you can...but it would be better used to go ahead and record multiple instruments to be used to overdub later.

Thanks for the quick response.

Do I have to copy my WAV to the SD card via a card reader or does the HD4 have an import function?

I'm still trying to decide if I want to buy the H4N.

By overdub I meant I would listen to the bass track while recording my guitar on another track.

Are there latency issues using this approach.

Id think that you could drag and drop that file into an editing program...as long as it is a wave file...I do it all the time with video editing.

do not have H4N, have had H4 for a number of years.

While you can import with H4 attached via USB it tends to be more convenient for me to use a separet Card reader . . . this might seem a tad strange as both use USB 2 data bus

With H4 there were some naming conventions to which one had to adhere if one, for example, wished to import bass to track one then record a separate, drums for example, to track two

whether that minor iritation was addressed in H4N I don't know

The H4 could be configured so it 'looked' like any other external HD to a computer from which (to which) one wish to import (export)

all pretty straight forward

I haven't done it, but it appears that in USB I/F (interface) mode, the H4n can use the files created on a computer in WAV format, but only 2 at a time, that doesn't mean that it imports them and puts them on the SD card, though. It's the backward way to do it. If you've already got the file in a computer, then use Cubase or whatever software, and use the Zoom as a USB interface, and you can monitor through the Zoom's output, and run the overdub right into the computer. The Zoom is built to move files *to* a computer, not to get files *from* a computer. Once the files are in a real computer, why move them back?-Richie

The ironic thing is that I can import 4 tracks on my H2...and the H4 is only capable of 2...its like they have it turned arround.:rolleyes:

I. The Zoom is built to move files *to* a computer, not to get files *from* a computer. Once the files are in a real computer, why move them back?-Richie

don't disagree that some of it's conventions were a bit awkward (H4) but there are dozens of reasons to move files 'back' to a hand held recorder

One of the primary reasons I've retained and continue to use H4 (while edirol r09 remains principal hand held field recorder) was ability to use it for snap shot recording, guitar, vocals, etc. over studio recorded bass and drums (simply as an obvious example) when I was in motion and traveling light. But there were a variety of reasons for moving data 'back', several of which would not have occured to me prior to having the ability

OK, Oretez, I can't find anything in the H4n manual, but the OS seems to be pretty similar to the H4. So, regarding H4, how *do* you import WAV files? Can you do it in multitrack format? (MTR). I'm betting that whatever works in an H4 will work in an H4n. Now at least in the H4n, in multitrack mode, the only available bit depth/resolution is 16bit/44.1 kHz. If you try to import a WAV file at 24bit/96kHz, does it convert it, or choke on it? I'm betting it just refuses to read it, unless you are in stereo mode.

And Darrin, that import thing is 2 tracks *at a time*. You would just need to do an additional operation to import additional tracks to the same folder.-Richie

The H4 and H4n are almost true 4 tracks. They can run in stereo, 4 track (which is really a dual stereo mode), or multi-track mode, which is almost a true 4-track (2 mono tracks and one stereo track). Stereo mode can run in 24bit/96kHz, or bizzillions of other WAV/MP3 formats. In multitrack mode, it only runs 16bit/44.1kHz. So- for most stuff I do on the Zoom, I record in stereo, then take either the left or right track, pan it to wherever I want it in Pro Tools, and delete the other track-or just use both tracks. Generally, I have no need to run things *back* to the Zoom once they are in a real computer. I can just mix it there, and I can either use the Zoom or, more likely, the Digi002 to add any additional tracks I want. The Digi002 likes 24bit/48kHz, so I can either dither the tracks down in the box, or just record it that way in the first place.

And as far as I understand it, the H2 is not a 4-track recorder. It is a stereo recorder with 4 mics, a 90 degree X-Y pair in the front, and a 120 degree X-Y pair in the back. You can record with all 4 mics simultaneously, and adjust balance from front to back or left to right, but in the end, it ends up on 2 exportable tracks. The H4 and H4n have 2 onboard stereo mics, and 2 XLR inputs with phantom power. In multitrack mode, they export what is essentially 2 mono tracks and one stereo track. However, you can export a larger number of mono or stereo tracks to a computer, and do the mixing and post production there. From the H2 manual, I don't see how you would get 4 separate and distinct tracks without some pretty complex synching operations. On the H4n, you can just record another mono (or stereo) track, and dump it into the computer. By doing that, you can build up as many tracks as your software can handle. It's called H*2* because there are only 2 tracks, regardless of how many mics were used to create them. It can also, like the H4/H4n, be tweaked to export surround sound, but that is still built out of 2 tracks.-Richie

OK, I'll take your word for it- you own the thing. So theoretically, those tracks would either be from the four onboard mics, or from two of them and 2 from a stereo mic plugged into the 3.5mm mic in? I also note the thing has a line in, so you could feed it a signal from an outboard preamp. It's not that big a deal, I'm just trying to figure out how the thing works.
So that would be the 360 degree four channel function detailed here?

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/index.php

The question is: can it only do that with the onboard mics, or can you combine 2 of the onboard mics with an outboard stereo mic, or an outboard preamp via the line in?

The H4 or H4n uses the same function, but 2 of the mics would be outboard. I think that's what they call 4 track mode, as opposed to multitrack mode. Like the 4 track mode in the H4n, there would be mic bleed, not 4 distinct and separate tracks recorded separately, but essentially 4 channel stereo. But I do get your point that they come out as 4 separate WAV files. I think I understand the thing better now. It's a useful concept for a field recorder, but I think I prefer the H4n's ability to use whatever mics I want, and record individual mono tracks.-Richie

I'm aware there's a stereo mic input. The question is- if you use it in the 360 4 track mode, do you get to decide which onboard mics are disabled, or does it just disable them all? On the H4n, if you plug in a stereo mic, it just substitutes it for the onboard stereo mic. This is OK, because my SONY is the better stereo mic anyway.-Richie

I have a nice old AT stereo mic myself...but I havent tried it in that fashion yet...pretty much just as a mic for a camcorder.

I actually use a SONY ECM-MS957. It splits the difference between the $100 stereo mics that suck, and the $1000 mics I can't afford and don't want to risk in the field. It's about $250 new, $150 used if you spook around, and is the cheapest stereo mic I know of that beats most of the onboard stuff. I suppose if I wanted the best the Zoom can do, I could jack a pair of Neumanns into it, but they're not the kind of thing I take to field events or camping. I'm still experimenting with various stereo pairs. Aside from the SONY, My best bets in affordable mics are C2000B, which I now own a pair of, or Oktava MC012. The onboard mics aren't bad but the I like the SONY better. It's compact, and that's the kind of work it was made for. If I'm willing to give up some size and weight, I can use a kick mic stand with a stereo mount and the C2000B's. That's OK for a club or a practice, but not so good for walking longer distances.
I do Medieval re-creation, so concealability and portability is a big plus for that. There's lots of instrumental stuff, vocal ensembles, and Middle Eastern/African/Celtic drumming The H4n fits the bill very well, and the SONY cuts handling noise without having to use the remote control.-Richie

I like the compressor/Limiter on the H2 for the loud concerts I attend...plus it is small enough to hide if I have to...just sync it up to the audio on the HD camcorder in your editing program and you have great sound with great video...If they really had any vision...they would combine the innerds with that of one of the new HD camcorders that are as small as the H2

They are dropping the ball on the HD video...I have one not much bigger than a creditcard that does 1080p...with 6 hours of video in just 8gb.

Back