Can I do MS placement if the preamp only has 1 xlr?

4tracker

It's a tube mp (usb) with only one xlr input. There is a 1/4" input -- wondering if I can use that for the 2nd mic or will there be impedance or phase issues?

Thanks.

You could fill in the blanks right!
- can it record two tracks at a time?
- is the 1/4" line level- or inst' level only?
- yes you can put another pre amp -for the second mic, into a 1/4" line in.
- you could even cludge together a mic-to-1/4", but the levels would be ridiculously low- no phantom etc, etc.. But why..?

what he is trying to say is NO u cannot do that.

Even if it was designed somehow to run mic pre (xlr) and line level/DI (1/4) U need two microphone preamps, not one mic preamp and one DI/line. Also there would be two signals that would need to be summed or sent on two outputs.

Anyways, not going to work. 2 press needed

True. You need to mics and pre's to do MS plus one of the mics has to be able to do a fig 8 pattern.

Actually, depending on the microphone, you might get away with plugging straight into a line input. It's not ideal, but it can work. But it would have to have an output seperate from the mic input, which is definitely not the case in the Tube MP.

In fact, my Dual MP is wired in such a way that if you plug a dynamic mic into the XLR and something else into the 1/4", you can actually hear what's going into 1/4" coming out of the microphone itself. That is, they are wired in parallel so that the mic diaghram acts like a speaker for whatever's plugged in the other hole!

Thanks guys, the quest for a new preamp begins.

Is it possible to daisy chain two tube mp usb together? I wouldn't know how to go about that. Short of that, though, I need an entirely new setup.

Is it possible to daisy chain two tube mp usb together?

Most recording software allows for ONE interface at a time only. There is one DAW software that can use multiple interfaces, but I don't remember which one that is.

Your best bet is to buy a new interface capable of 2 or more mic inputs. Focusrite is well regarded for consumer level stuff.

Back