Can i do 88.2k on ADAT?

T800

Can anyone advise me if first of all 88.2K sample rate works on Adat optical in general? Because I want to go optically out of my Eventide H8000FW because i am using that as my main converter. And can I do it by using this monster optical cable I bought from best buy? Because it says its optical but I hope it can carry 88.2 k sample rate to my M-audio soundcard which has optical inputs.

And all is true, then what is the truly better option out of the following two scenarios:

1) AxeFX DSP keeping the signal digital to its XLR digital out > Digital In (AES) on Eventide H8000FW - and activating the Eventide real time SRC to convert from the incoming 48k converted to 88k? (or is 96 more optimal since the SRC math would be more even on the multiples?) - and then to go out ADAT from the eventide optical to the DAW where this signal is an ideal 96k???

Or:

2) to route the signal from the AxeFX DSP to its D to A so that it can come out analog (it has proper A/D and D/A converters) - which is a normal XLR out - and in to the Eventide H8000FW's analog inputs which go to another premium A/D converter into the Eventide DSP operating at 88k?)

Somebody said by using the latter, there is more character to the sound, that it would be smoother, gooier and 3 Dimensional because all converters have some sort of character to them, and its less digital sort of artifact-sounding - especially if the converters are good.

And if the latter is indeed the 100% objective winner in terms of ideal sound - then would it also be better to go out of the eventide to its own conversion outward to analog with its own premium D/A converters on the way out -> followed by an apogee symphony? Is the stacking of 5 good converters like this in and out of all these units and finally to the Apogee more preferable for some kind of enhanced smoothness to the signal? In that case a prism orpheus or weiss converter might be more preferable even than a symphony!

The bigger and the gooier - the better.

Any thoughts on the matter? Please advise if possible.

adat is 8 channels at 44.1k

to do 96k the trick is using BOTH optical ports tied together to get 4 channels @ up to 96k (SMUX)

or you can hook that unit up via firewire for full 8channels @ 96k

Right from the Eventide H8000FW spec page:

AES DB-25: 8 channels of AES 24-bit at 44.1kHz - 96kHz
AES XLR: 4 channels of AES at 44.1kHz - 96kHz with sample rate conversion and relay bypass at power down
Lightpipe (Toslink): 8 channels of ADAT (4 channels at 96kHz with S/MUX) or 2 channels of S/PDIF at 44.1kHz/48kHz
FireWire: 8 channels of 24-bit at 44.1kHz - 96kHz
FireWire thru for daisy-chain connection to other FireWire devices

....you should read your manual....

Ya nothing of the sort in the manual. But I will look again. But what if I only want one or two channels? Then one cable is fine right?

Is the monster optical cable bought from best buy adequate?

I have no reason to believe that Pro Tools 7-8 would allow such a Firewire connection, unless it was a return to an insert or send. In which case there might still be a way to record guitar tracks that way. But Pro Tools 7-8 will not allow the H8000 to be used as an actual interface.

I am still on a first generation m-audio project mix soundcard.

No.... S/MUX requires both cables (you cant cheat). Do some google-ing on it.

Ok I confirmed in the M-Audio manual for the P-mix that SMUX2 protocol is possible but they do not say to use two cables. And the H8000 does not have two adat outs so I don't know how such a thing would even be possible. But the M-audio manual implies the use of one optical cable as well - not two.

Here is what the M-audio manual says:

These assignments represent the ProjectMix I/O functioning at 44.1kHz or 48kHz sample rate. When you raise your sample rate above 48kHz,
the ADAT ports will switch to S/MUX II mode. In this mode, the number of channels that can be routed through ADAT is cut in half—only 4
channels can be input and output at a time. (When in S/MUX II mode, the first four ADAT streams will carry audio while the other four streams
will carry silence.)

Last edited:
Back