Can i cut auralex lenrd traps to fit?

Schecterplayer

hi i just bought some auralex lenrd bass traps (4) and i have two questions. where is the best place to place them? i currently have them in the 2 corners in front of me. 2 per corner. is this optimal for this many traps or should i place 1 in each of the 4 corners?

second is can i cut the lenrd to be able to fit between an opening door and the wall? the door is at my 10 o clock position and i cant fit the trap because the door hits it. any ideas? or can i just cut it to fit? i was also thinking of placing the trap along the wall. kind of like it was in the corner just moved out from the corner a bit to clear the door. will this work?

thanks

Best place to put them is back in the box they came in, and then return them....and instead get some real bass traps that will actually do something.

And the best place to put your shitty answer is right up your ass. Did I ask if they were the ideal product? Did I ask if they were the best available?? No. You are ignorant for what you said. I am very restricted in what I can use so I had to buy These and they DO WORK. Get your shit straight trolling asshole

A couple of the right kind of traps will fit in the same space you have those foam wedges, and would do more good than 8 of those foam wedges.

I (and I'm sure others will too) gave you the answer that would actually *HELP YOU* get better results in your room....but you want the answer that you already have in your head.
OK then...if they really work, put them where they work. :rolleyes:

And the best place to put your shitty answer is right up your ass. Did I ask if they were the ideal product? Did I ask if they were the best available?? No. You are ignorant for what you said. I am very restricted in what I can use so I had to buy These and they DO WORK. Get your shit straight trolling asshole
Don't be a DB. He gave you the best answer. LENRD's are about as worthless as a bowl of warm sinus fluid. They pull a little top end out and little more. If you want broadband trapping in your corners, get broadband traps. Not 2#cf foam. Just because you're "restricted in what you can use" doesn't make them absorb any more low end than they do.

Let's keep in mind that I'm not an Auralex basher -- The stuff is great for what it is and very inexpensive. But the only way to make LENRD's useful is to actually put bass traps in front of them (which I've done for people on more than one occasion).

Um, I must interject here.

First off, there is no name calling allowed on this site. You have been around for a while, so not going to take action.

If anyone is a trolling asshole, it is you Schecterplayer. You got a reasonable answer that is fact. Just because you think you have a product that is viable for use as a bass trap just means that you fell prey to hype and advertising, and failed to actually research what the product is capable of.

The correct answer was given. If you don't want good answers, then ask someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. Like the one who convinced you to purchase the Auralex 'bass traps' in the first place.

I have a bunch of them that were given to me, that I would gladly give you for free. Just pay for shipping.

:D

Auralex do have independent lab testing of their products which does suggest they work better than the ones RealTraps or us at GIK have tested - they can still help general decay down to [probably] 150 Hz, which certainly doesn't demand ripping it off the wall. There are products I've seen on people's walls that I do suggest removing...Auralex LENRDs can easily be reused in many cases though.
Eight 2' bass traps will, honestly, not make huge leaps and bounds towards a great sounding room, especially with foam traps, so I do recommend eventually pursuing to add more corner/bass treatment and to consider thicker fiberglass or mineral wool traps instead as you can get a much higher degree of absorption out of them (and they look much better IMO).
LENRDs can be cut easily using a carving knife (its what they recommend themselves). Alternatively, you could just turn it so that it hugs the ceiling/wall corner instead of the wall/wall corner.
Here's a video made by Auralex on their recommendations on cutting: Cutting Auralex® Studiofoam® - YouTube

I'm so glad I started reading things here a couple of years ago before wasting money on 'acoustic' foam!

Auralex do have independent lab testing of their products which does suggest they work better than the ones RealTraps or us at GIK have tested

I don't know about your tests, but when RealTraps tested LENRDs (and the cheaper Foam By Mail knockoffs) we used a real acoustics lab. All of the products were also placed in corners, which is a more realistic comparison since that's where they'll actually be placed in a studio. More here:

Test Methods for Acoustic Treatment Products

--Ethan

Back